Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Identity of the Holy Ghost
Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #895] Sat, 11 August 2012 23:52 Go to next message
JulesGP

I've had this idea suggested to me a few times over the past couple of years, and a friend of mine started a thread on another forum about this as well. I wanted to see where it would go here. I still haven't developed a solid understanding and testimony of this topic, and don't necessarily need to in order to continue progressing, but I also have felt good about exploring it.

The position my friend has taken is that OUR OWN spirit is the Holy Ghost. I'm including some scriptures and quotes here that seem to substantiate this position. (I apologize for the lack or organization here, as I'm still exploring this like I said.)

Quote:
But the holy ghost is yet a Spiritual body and waiting to take to himself a body. as the Savior did or as god did or the gods before them took bodies...(From: The Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary Accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph. (Andrew F. Ehat, and Lyndon W. Cook, eds.. Orem, Utah: Grandin Book Company, 1996) , 382)

Quote:
"The Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." (Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith, p. 245; Sabbath address, 27 August 1843)

I want to quote my friend and some of the thoughts he's put together about the Holy Ghost:

Quote:
In the Old Testament, under the Law of Moses, the typical animal that one brought as a sacrifice was a lamb, symbolic of Jesus Christ and his sacrifice for us. There was another animal that could be used alternatively as a sacrifice... the dove.

Some things we read about the Holy Ghost and a dove...

"And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him" (Mark 1:10)
"Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the Holy Ghost descended upon him in the form of a dove." (2 Nephi 31:8)
"And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased." (Luke 3:22)

We know that the Holy Ghost spoken of as "like a dove" and in the "form of a dove" was not actually a physical dove, and probably didn't look like an actual dove either.

The Guide To The Scriptures states: " Dove, sign of. A prearranged means by which John the Baptist would recognize the Messiah at Jesus' baptism (John 1:3234).

"The sign of the dove was instituted before the creation of the world, a witness for the Holy Ghost, and the devil cannot come in the sign of a dove. ... The sign of a dove was given to John to signify the truth of the deed, as the dove is an emblem or token of truth and innocence" (Joseph Smith, HC 5:261). See 1 Ne. 11:27; 2 Ne. 31:8; D&C 93:15; Abr., fac. 2, fig. 7. Though we usually associate the sign of the dove with John the Baptist, from the latter reference we learn that it was manifested to Abraham also. We suppose that it has been similarly made known to other prophets on occasion since the time of Adam. "

So, rather than thinking of the Holy Ghost in the form of the dove this is telling us to think more in terms of signs and tokens (think Temple).

Quote:
Facsimile 2 from the Book of Abraham (must look at it upside down for this one):

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/download/file.php?id=3084

The explanation of #7 is: "Represents God sitting upon his throne, revealing through the heavens the grand Key-words of the Priesthood; as, also, the sign of the Holy Ghost unto Abraham, in the form of a dove".

Quote:
"Therefore it is given to abide in you; the record of heaven; the Comforter; the peaceable things of immortal glory; the truth of all things; that which quickeneth all things, which maketh alive all things; that which knoweth all things, and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment." (Moses 6: 61)

Quote:
"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (1 Cor. 6: 19-20)

Excerpt from the blog of Denver Snuffer (for those of you not familiar with him, he purports to have received the Second Comforter and has spoken with the Savior multiple times):

Quote:
You were a spirit before you were born. (Abraham 3: 22-28.) You were there when some were chosen to be "rulers," or in other words, teachers. (2 Nephi 5: 19.) You have within you a spirit that was in that group. You saw and participated in what went on, and have that somewhere still inside you. It is kept from you by the "veil of flesh" now covering your spirit. (Heb. 10: 20.) Somewhere within you lies the "record of heaven." Or more correctly, the Record of Heaven. (Moses 6: 61.) If you gain access to it, it has the capacity to teach you the "truth of all things." (Moses 6: 61.) Within it is such an abundance of truth that the things of God are not hidden from you, neither far off. It is not in heaven, so that you ask: who will go to heaven to bring it to us. It is not beyond the sea that you should ask who can go to bring it to us? But is is very close to you, in your own mouth, in your own heart, that you can do what is asked of you. (Deut. 30: 11-14, above.)

Hence the saying of Christ that the Comforter will bring things to your remembrance. (John 14: 26.)

Christ taught the kingdom of God is within you. (Luke 17: 20-21.)

Why is it that the body is animated, with power of thought and communication, alive and vital while there is a spirit within it? But when the spirit departs, what then of the body? The power to live and breathe and move and do according to your will is gone at that point. But from whence came that power? (Mosiah 2: 21.) If it is God who is "lending you that power" then how closely are you connected to God? How immediate is His presence within you?

If you can gain access to God, will you need to go out, or will you instead need to go within?

I was led to this article HERE on a website that Seeker posted elsewhere on this forum, and he has some interesting points I wanted to highlight(any emphasis is that of the author of the article):

Quote:
"Therefore, in the beginning the Word was, for he was the Word, even the messenger of salvation- The light and the Redeemer of the world; the SPIRIT OF TRUTH, .... And he (Jesus) RECEIVED NOT A FULLNESS AT FIRST, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness; ..... For IF YOU keep my commandments YOU SHALL RECEIVE OF HIS FULNESS (as did Jesus), and be glorified in me AS I AM IN THE FATHER (be one with them); therefore, I say unto you, YOU SHALL RECEIVE GRACE FOR GRACE, (just as the Savior did). .... YE WERE ALSO IN THE BEGINNING WITH THE FATHER; THAT WHICH IS SPIRIT (like Jesus), EVEN THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH. ... Behold, here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because THAT WHICH WAS FROM THE BEGINNING IS PLAINLY MANIFEST unto them (and what would that be?), and they receive not the light. ... FOR MAN IS SPIRIT. The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, MAN IS THE TABERNACLE OF GOD, EVEN TEMPLES." (D&C 93:1-35)

Quote:
" ... There is one revelation that this people are not generally acquainted with. I think it has never been published, but probably it will be in the Church History. It is given in questions and answers. The first question is, "WHAT IS THE NAME OF GOD IN THE PURE LANGUAGE?" THE ANSWER SAYS "AHMAN." "WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE SON OF GOD?" ANSWER, "SON AHMAN-THE GREATEST OF ALL THE PARTS OF GOD EXCEPTING AHMAN." "WHAT IS THE NAME OF MEN?" "SONS AHMAN," IS THE ANSWER. "What is the name of angels in the pure language?" "Anglo-man." THIS REVELATION GOES ON TO SAY THAT SONS AHMAN ARE THE GREATEST OF ALL THE PARTS OF GOD EXCEPTING SON AHMAN AND AHMAN, and that Anglo-man are the greatest of all the parts of God excepting Sons Ahman, Son Ahman, and Ahman, showing that the angels are a little lower than man. What is the conclusion to be drawn from this? It is, that THESE INTELLIGENT BEINGS ARE ALL PARTS OF GOD, AND THAT THOSE WHO HAVE THE MOST OF THE PARTS OF GOD ARE THE GREATEST, OR NEXT TO GOD, AND THOSE WHO HAVE THE NEXT GREATEST PORTIONS OF THE PARTS OF GOD, ARE THE NEXT GREATEST, OR NEAREST TO THE FULNESS OF GOD; AND SO WE MIGHT GO ON TO TRACE THE SCALE OF INTELLIGENCES FROM THE HIGHEST TO THE LOWEST, tracing the parts and portions of God so far as we are made acquainted with them. HENCE WE SEE THAT WHEREVER A GREAT AMOUNT OF THIS INTELLIGENT SPIRIT EXISTS, THERE IS A GREAT AMOUNT OR PROPORTION OF GOD, WHICH MAY GROW AND INCREASE UNTIL THERE IS A FULNESS OF THIS SPIRIT, AND THEN THERE IS A FULNESS OF GOD." (Orson Pratt, 1855, Journal of Discourses Vol 2, page 340)

And his closing statement:

Quote:
When you are admonished after baptism with the words ".... we say unto you, receive the Holy Spirit!", do you finally understand that your body is being admonished to receive the governance of your Spirit? Do you realize that, like Jesus Christ, we are admonished in THIS LIFE to RECEIVE GRACE UPON GRACE until we RECEIVE A FULLNESS!

(I think the author mis-quoted the prayer above and we are actually told to receive the Holy Ghost.)

I haven't quite figured this out yet, but my feeling is that maybe the HOLY GHOST - is OUR OWN spirit, and the HOLY SPIRIT is the SPIRIT OF GOD. Moroni 10 separates them here:

Quote:
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest the gtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may aknow the btruth of all things.

6 And whatsoever thing is good is just and true; wherefore, nothing that is good denieth the Christ, but acknowledgeth that he is.

7 And ye may aknow that he is, by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore I would exhort you that ye deny not the power of God; for he worketh by power, baccording to the faith of the children of men, the same today and tomorrow, and forever.

8 And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the agifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are bdifferent ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the cSpirit of God unto men, to profit them.

9 aFor behold, to one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may bteach the word of wisdom;

10 And to another, that he may ateach the word of bknowledge by the same Spirit;

11 And to another, exceedingly great afaith; and to another, the gifts of bhealing by the same Spirit;

Etc...

Nephi notes a distinction here too:

Quote:
1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.

2 But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.

Here below, Nephi makes an interesting statement as well:

Quote:
1 Nephi 11:11 wrote:And I said unto him: To know the interpretation thereof--for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.

God speaking here makes this clarification:

Quote:
D&C 97 Verily I say unto you my friends, I speak unto you with my voice, even the voice of my Spirit, that I may show unto you my will concerning your brethren in the land of Zion, many of whom are truly humble and are seeking diligently to learn wisdom and to find truth.

Also:

Quote:
D&C 104:81 Therefore write speedily to New York and write according to that which shall be dictated by my Spirit; and I will soften the hearts of those to whom you are in debt, that it shall be taken away out of their minds to bring affliction upon you.

Denver Snuffer talks on his blog a bit about the difference between the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit, and quotes from Lectures on Faith: HERE

Quote:
Are the "Holy Ghost" and the "Holy Spirit" the same? When Nephi refers to the "Holy Ghost" in 2 Ne. 33: 1, but then uses "Holy Spirit" in the next verse (2 Ne. 33: 2), does he have two different things in mind?

Joseph Smith defined the "Holy Spirit" as the "mind of the Father and Son" in the Lectures on Faith. Here is an excerpt:

There are two personages who constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things--by whom all things were created and made, that are created and made, whether visible or invisible: whether in heaven, on earth, or in the earth, under the earth, or throughout the immensity of space--They are the Father and the Son: The Father being a personage of spirit, glory and power: possessing all perfection and fulness: The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle, made, or fashioned like unto man, or being in the form and likeness of man, or, rather, man was formed after his likeness, and in his image;--he is also the express image and likeness of the personage of the Father: possessing all the fulness of the Father, or, the same fulness with the Father; being begotten of him, and was ordained from before the foundation of the world to be a propitiation for the sins of all those who should believe on his name, and is called the Son because of the flesh--and descended in suffering below that which man can suffer, or, in other words, suffered greater sufferings, and was exposed to more powerful contradictions than any man can be. But notwithstanding all this, he kept the law of God, and remained without sin: Showing thereby that it is in the power of man to keep the law and remain also without sin. And also, that by him a righteous judgment might come upon all flesh, and that all who walk not in the law of God, may justly be condemned by the law, and have no excuse for their sins. And he being the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth, and having overcome, received a fulness of the glory of the Father-possessing the same mind with the Father, which mind is the Holy Spirit, that bears record of the Father and the Son, and these three are one, or in other words, these three constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things: by whom all things were created and made, that were created and made: and these three constitute the Godhead, and are one: The Father and the Son possessing the same mind, the same wisdom, glory, power and fulness: Filling all in all--the Son being filled with the fulness of the Mind, glory and power, or, in other words, the Spirit, glory and power of the Father--possessing all knowledge and glory, and the same kingdom: sitting at the right hand of power, in the express image and likeness of the Father--a Mediator for man--being filled with the fulness of the Mind of the Father, or, in other words, the Spirit of the Father: which Spirit is shed forth upon all who believe on his name and keep his commandments: and all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ; possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all: being filled with the fulness of his glory, and become one in him, even as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one. (Lecture 5, Paragraph 2.)

The forgoing was published in 1835.

In a lecture given in 1843, Joseph stated the following (which can be found in D&C 130: 22):

The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

If the Holy Ghost is a "personage of Spirit" and it can "dwell in us," and the Holy Spirit is "the mind of the Father and Son" then are they the same thing?

The scriptures have explained that the "Holy Ghost" which dwells in you - this personage of Spirit - has the following other descriptions, or attributes:
-the Comforter
-the record of heaven
-the truth of all things
-the peacable things of immortal glory
-that which quickeneth all things
-that which knoweth all things
-that which has all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice and judgment.
(Moses 6: 61.)
This is a description of the personage of Spirit which dwells inside you. This is the Holy Ghost. This is something that can be in contact with the Holy Spirit, or the "mind of the Father and Son."

Amonhi has talked with me before about talking to someone else's spirit with my spirit - communicating spirit to spirit. So the understanding I'm developing is that the Spirit of God - talks to us by/via our own spirit - the Holy Ghost.

Quote:
"When a man has the manifestation from the Holy Ghost, it leaves an indelible impression on his soul, one that is not easily erased. It is Spirit speaking to spirit, and it comes with convincing force. A manifestation of an angel, or even of the Son of God himself, would impress the eye and mind, and eventually become dimmed, but the impressions of the Holy Ghost sink deeper into the soul and are more difficult to erase" (Answers to Gospel Questions, comp. Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., 5 vols. [195766], 2:151).

Is this because we KNOW - it becomes TRUTH, not just a manifestation detected by our physical earthly senses?

Quote:
"Through the Holy Ghost the truth is woven into the very fibre and sinews of the body so that it cannot be forgotten" (Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols. [195456], 1:48). (Gospel Principles, Chapter 7: The Holy Ghost)

Other thoughts I'm toying with:

- We cannot lie to ourselves - it's our own spirit that KNOWS it's a lie.

- Before we understand how to communicate with God via our spirits (as we cannot do it in-person at this time), we can still feel the promptings of the HG. When we are baptized and go through the ordinance of the laying on of hands for the gift of the HG, we are being commanded to master spirit-to-spirit communication with God on a regular basis, and to allow our own spirits to govern us - not the arm of the flesh - our own.

- The scriptures tell us that the HG will bring us to a "remembrance" because it is our own spirit that has a veil of forgetfulness over it, and our own spirit that can remember things we knew from before we came to this earth.

There is so much more that could be said here, but I'll stop here and see what others have to say.

~Jules
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #896 is a reply to message #895] Sun, 12 August 2012 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BringerOfJoy is currently offline  BringerOfJoy
Thanks for posting this, Jules. I'm curious to see what comments get generated. I also sent a follow-up question to DS because their are some questions that that other thread generated in my mind that I hope he will answer this next week.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #897 is a reply to message #896] Sun, 12 August 2012 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
Consider some of the roles of the Holy Ghost:
Bear witness of the Father and the Son.
Deliver to us the words of Christ.
Sanctify us.
Carry our words into the hearts of others.
Give us the words that we need in the very moment that we need them.
Show us all things that we must do.

How can we do all those things?
How do we commit blasphemy against ourselves? And how is doing so grounds for spending eternity in Outer Darkness with the devil and his angels?

Here are a few verses on the Holy Ghost, followed by my comment. Before I start, I would like to remind all what Jesus Christ stated in D&C 18. He said that if we know that the scriptures are true, that we are to rely on them.

Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
(Doctrine and Covenants 8:2)
How could he come upon us and dwell in our hearts, if we are him?

And it shall come to pass, that if you shall ask the Father in my name, in faith believing, you shall receive the Holy Ghost, which giveth utterance, that you may stand as a witness of the things of which you shall both hear and see, and also that you may declare repentance unto this generation.
(Doctrine and Covenants 14:8)
We have to ask for the Holy Ghost, how can that be so if it us?

Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen
(Doctrine and Covenants 20:28)
Are we God? Do we have all of the attributes of God in perfection? This verse says the Holy Ghost is God, right now.

And to confirm the church by the laying on of the hands, and the giving of the Holy Ghost;
(Doctrine and Covenants 20:43)
If we are the Holy Ghost, why do we need an ordinance to give the Holy Ghost?

19 Wherefore, watch over him that his faith fail not, and it shall be given by the Comforter, the Holy Ghost, that knoweth all things.
(Doctrine and Covenants 35:19)
If we knew all things, we wouldn't need to post questions on Internet forums.

13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
(Doctrine and Covenants 46:1314)
Why don't we all choose to have the gift of knowing that Jesus is the Christ? If we are the Holy Ghost, and we have agency, why not? Why not choose to have all the gifts?

The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.
(Doctrine and Covenants 121:46)
If we are the Holy Ghost, how can this verse make any sense?

A man may receive the Holy Ghost, and it may descend upon him and not tarry with him.
(Doctrine and Covenants 130:23)
How can we not tarry with ourselves?

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
(John 14:26)
The Holy Ghost is sent by the Father.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
(Matthew 1:18)
How does this work?

And the Holy Ghost giveth authority that I should speak these things, and deny them not.
(1 Nephi 10:22)
Can we authorize ourselves to speak whatever we want?

and after he was baptized, I beheld the heavens open, and the Holy Ghost come down out of heaven and abide upon him in the form of a dove.
(1 Nephi 11:27)
Nephi saw the Holy Ghost as a separate entity, why isn't that enough to prove that we are not the Holy Ghost?

For behold, if ye deny the Holy Ghost when it once has had place in you
(Alma 39:6)

How can we have once had place in ourselves?

In summary, I see nothing in the scriptures which supports any other position other than that the Holy Ghost is an individual spirit that is a member of the Godhead. Even the most righteous among us are not members of the Godhead.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 August 2012 17:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #905 is a reply to message #897] Wed, 15 August 2012 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
I find it interesting that if our own Spirits are the Holy Ghost, every one of us are already gods. This would mean all we need to do is accept ourselves as spiritual beings, and we would be perfected.

Sadly, this is not the case. The body does not think on its own or fight against the ideas of the spirit which possesses it. The Holy Ghost is a messenger, not our pre-mortal selves. Also, we did not know 'all things' in a previous existence. We learned as much as we could, and now we are here, having forgotten everything. But there was a limit to how much we could learn without a body, and that is why we have one.

What's more, when someone does evil, it is not only their body which becomes unholy, it is their spirit as well which becomes unclean and unholy.

Keep thinking and asking questions so we can all learn from each other! Smile

- Dragon
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #997 is a reply to message #895] Sun, 26 August 2012 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MES5464 is currently offline  MES5464
Jules,

This quote you gave seems to support my beliefs about the Holy Ghost.

Quote:
The Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." (Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith, p. 245; Sabbath address, 27 August 1843)

That is, the Holy Ghost is destand to be a Messiah someday.

Our Jesus Christ now, once served as the Holy Ghost for a previous generation. Having proven himself worthy in that calling the became the Messiah of our generation. And our Holy Ghost will serve as the Messian for the next generation to come after us.

Just my oppinon based on the feelings of the spirit.

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1001 is a reply to message #997] Sun, 26 August 2012 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
MES5464,

That makes perfect sense to me. Solves all the problems.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1003 is a reply to message #997] Sun, 26 August 2012 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MES5464
That is, the Holy Ghost is destand to be a Messiah someday.

Forgive me for the bluntness, but a statement like this actually offends me. It suggests we must progress from one role to the next. Something like if your good enough, you can be Moses in your next life, then Adam, then the Holy Ghost, then the Savior. There are two reasons this offends me.

First, it suggests one lifetime is not enough to become a God. Moses was made a God over Israel, and he was not the only person we know of to be translated. What I'm saying is there are many throughout history who have achieved all they need to achieve in a mortal life.

Secondly, our church doctrine states the atonement is applicable for all time, for all planets, and for all universes. To state we can or need to become a Savior to another generation is to diminish the atonement in scope.

One role I do believe we will play for a future generation is the role of Adam. There is evidence to support it, and none to support the conjecture that anyone will serve as another Savior for another planet or whatever. Forgive my bluntness or rudeness. I felt compelled to speak.

- Dragon
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1020 is a reply to message #895] Sun, 26 August 2012 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr
While studying John, Joseph Smith learned that our Heavenly Father was the Christ of His world, he also learned that there are God's above one another everlastingly. This would imply that there already may be an unlimited number of individuals who have served in the capacity of a Christ.

That's the quote I'm looking for. God's above one another everlastingly is a concept my limited human mind still cannot grasp, even after being a Celestialized brain for two decades.

- Dragon
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1043 is a reply to message #1020] Wed, 29 August 2012 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

I felt that the side-topic of whether or not there will be other Saviors deserved its own thread, so I split this one and started the new one here:

http://www.elliaison.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=206&goto=1006&rid=35&S=449b97eb9de52edfde1ea51e68315f30#msg_1006

I left the posts here that specifically mentioned the Holy Ghost.

~Jules
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1048 is a reply to message #1043] Thu, 30 August 2012 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To return to this original topic, I was raised believing the Holy Ghost would obtain a body during the Millennium. He is a Child of God, the same as you and me, he is our brother, and has progressed to the point of Godhood prior to obtaining a body. He volunteered for this service for nearly the entire length of man on the earth. I have no quotes to verify these assertions today. If it is important for the sources which back these beliefs to be found, I will do so.

- Dragon
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1207 is a reply to message #1020] Sun, 07 October 2012 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KH is currently offline  KH
Can you cite the source of this quote, please?
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1268 is a reply to message #1207] Mon, 15 October 2012 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After hitting a roadblock in researching this question, I am left to conclude the following:

1. It IS the official position of the LDS Church that the Holy Ghost will some day obtain a body.

2. When He does this, He can no longer function as a guide, revelator, or companion. This is because having a body prevents Him from dwelling within us.

3. It is speculation unsupported by any official or unofficial quote by anyone of authority within the LDS Church to identify when or how the Holy Ghost will obtain a body.

4. The Savior servers as a Second Comforter, Second Revelator, or Second Companion. Yet He has a body. How is He able to do this? Because He does not dwell within us. Rather, He communicates with the tongue of angels, which can be done from any distance.

Thus, I am left to conclude through speculation that the Holy Ghost will obtain a body at a time when the first comforter is not necessary. The only time I know of for this is during the Millennium of Peace.

I have even heard it speculated that the Holy Ghost is someone who initially rebelled against God during the war in heaven, but later repented. Thus, His period of probation is to prove Himself worthy of obtaining a body. However, this idea relies on so much speculation on so many subjects, I cannot persuade myself or any others to believe such a notion.

- Dragon
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1524 is a reply to message #1268] Thu, 06 December 2012 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FreddyV is currently offline  FreddyV
This is a very interesting discussion. I've read some wonderful thoughts from everyone. One thing that strikes me about the Gospel is its complete simplicity. It is simple, it is plain, a child can understand the greatest mysteries. The mysteries of God are not mysteries because of their complexity, but because our eyes are closed and our hearts are hard and we are so prone to rejecting truth when it challenges things we think we understand.

"I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all. How many will be able to abide a celestial law, and go through and receive their exaltation, I am unable to say, as many are called, but few are chosen." (Jan. 20, 1844.)
--DHC 6:183-185.

John 10:34
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

1 Cor 3:
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Whoever led the Son of God into the waters of baptism, and had the privilege of beholding the Holy Ghost descend in the form of a dove, or rather in the sign of the dove, in witness of that administration? The sign of the dove was instituted before the creation of the world, a witness for the Holy Ghost, and the devil cannot come in the sign of a dove. The Holy Ghost is a personage, and is in the form of a personage. It does not confine itself to the form of the dove, but in sign of the dove. The Holy Ghost cannot be transformed into a dove; but the sign of a dove was given to John to signify the truth of the deed, as the dove is an emblem or token of truth and innocence. TPJS (reference Facsimile 2 explanation 7 to see a representation of the sign of the Holy Ghost)

Lecture 5 from Lectures on Faith
And he being the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth, and having overcome, received a fullness of the glory of the Father, possessing the same mind with the Father, which mind is the Holy Spirit,
How many personages are there in the Godhead? Two: the Father and Son.

8 Now they were ordained after this manner--being called with a holy calling, and ordained with a holy ordinance, and taking upon them the high priesthood of the holy order, which calling, and ordinance, and high priesthood, is without beginning or end--
9 Thus they become high priests forever, after the order of the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, who is without beginning of days or end of years, who is full of grace, equity, and truth. And thus it is. Amen. (Alma, Chapter 13)

54 They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.
55 They are they into whose hands the Father has given all things--
56 They are they who are priests and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory;
57 And are priests of the Most High, after the order of Melchizedek, which was after the order of Enoch, which was after the order of the Only Begotten Son.
58 Wherefore, as it is written, they are gods, even the sons of God--
(Doctrine and Covenants, 76)

I've cited scriptures and writings of the prophet Joseph Smith. I do not intend to convince anyone of my view or to persuade anyone. However, if we have soft hearts, we can often find things we might never have imagined.
74 Our minds being now enlightened, we began to have the scriptures laid open to our understandings, and the true meaning and intention of their more mysterious passages revealed unto us in a manner which we never could attain to previously, nor ever before had thought of. (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith--History, 1)

Questions we might ask ourselves.
How does a personage dwell within all of God's children? Can the answer be given with a straightforward and simple explanation?
What does D&C 88: 7, 12-13 teach us about the light of Christ? Is this the same thing as is described in the 5th Lecture on Faith?
What can we learn about our premortal experience from Alma 13? How about Abraham 3?
How are the scriptures in Alma 13 and D&C 76 related?

Post Script: A few more good questions.
What are we taught about the Godhead in the temple?
How do the signs and tokens we receive represent the Godhead?
What are we to learn from the first three personages that are introduced during the endowment ceremony?
What are we to learn from Michael, and the progression that is described during the endowment ceremony?

[Updated on: Thu, 06 December 2012 21:51]

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #1533 is a reply to message #1524] Fri, 07 December 2012 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingdom of ZION is currently offline  Kingdom of ZION
JulesGP, a very thoughtful and well asked question. FreddyV, you see that it takes to receive the answer. Dragon, you and I really do sit on opposite sides of the fence, your second post show... the stakes you have dutifully pounded into the ground. It however was nice to see you are open to Adam as being a calling, He who it is said of, is the Father of all living from the beginning of this world until the very end. All Missions are Callings! Being a Messiah, a Dispensation Presidents like Noah, Moses and Joseph, or just a Prophets called to come and bear witness, are all callings, steps on our eternal progression (I am speaking of the man's portion here).

I will share with those interested in knowing what I know to be true:

Your Holy Ghost is not your spirit bearing witness unto yourself... that is like what trinatarians think, that the Messiah prayed to himself, before Lazarus's Tomb or while being crucified. If this was true, then it appears Joseph was unaware of such being the case (not possible!).

Joseph Smith
I want to let you know that THE HOLY GHOST KNOWS SOMETHING AS WELL AS YOU DO. ... But I am learned, and know more than all the world put together. THE HOLY GHOST DOES, ANYHOW; AND HE IS WITHIN ME, and comprehends more than all the world; and I WILL ASSOCIATE MYSELF WITH HIM. JD6:5

Yet the Holy Ghosts [Plural] as in there are many in this creation, yet their numbers has not been revealed, but I will say their are millions; they are related to you spiritually i.e. eternally, as we serve one another throughout time. ALL Holy Ghosts are JUST MEN Made Perfect. It is required that these Beings must have once been or will be born and live in this creation, that they may administer unto this creation. There are three levels or degrees of these spirit beings, while in the spirit: Administering, Guardian, and Sentinel Angels or Spirits. These relate to the place in the path of eternal progression they are on. When FreddyV pointed out... John 10:34

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, YE ARE GODS?

Actually they are G_d's Elect, but from G_d's perspective, they are considered G_d's. However, they do not have the power, glory, and Priesthood of a G_d! All the quotes thus far sited speak of the steps that Holy Ghosts will and must go through to progress to Godhood. This is all true! There is more to the path than this, but as for the Holy Ghost's portion, this does suffice.

One might ask, is everyone a Holy Ghost? Heavens no... their is not billions of Holy Ghost, and the Sons of Perdition who are here are certainly not Holy Ghost. Only the Elect are called to administer as such.

Shalom

Coming of Eliyah is yet future, the Restoration of Yesrael and the Kingdom or Gospel and the other 2/3's of the Book of Mormon will follow. If Eliyah does not come, then with the coming of the Messiah, the earth shall be cursed and utterly wasted!

[Updated on: Fri, 07 December 2012 15:56]

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2070 is a reply to message #895] Wed, 23 January 2013 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
If I understand the process, there is a being of light; a Spirit; an entity that is the Holy Ghost who has the form of a man and dwells within the righteous. There is another being of light that is much more expansive who has the name of the Light or Spirit of Christ who dwells in everything. The process, I believe, is that the Light or Spirit of Christ takes the place of the Holy Ghost; the Holy Ghost takes the place of the Christ or the Son; and the Son takes the place of the Father in the next eternity or iteration. And the Father? Alma 37:11

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2013 14:56]

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2076 is a reply to message #2070] Thu, 24 January 2013 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert wrote on Wed, 23 January 2013 14:54
The process, I believe, is that the Light or Spirit of Christ takes the place of the Holy Ghost; the Holy Ghost takes the place of the Christ or the Son; and the Son takes the place of the Father in the next eternity or iteration. And the Father? Alma 37:11

Very interesting thought. I've asked these questions before, but I don't think it hurts to ask again.

1. How does a personage of spirit dwell in each of God's children, and yet still retain his identity as a personage?
2. Does one have to be a personage of spirit in order for him to have his presence felt throughout the universe?
In other words, does Christ have the ability to have His presence felt throughout the universe even though He is a personage of tabernacle?
What about God the Father, does He have the ability to have His presence felt throughout the universe?
3. What is meant by the Holy Spirit as described in the Fifth Lecture on Faith?

Quote from Denver Snuffer
Quote:

If the Holy Ghost is a "personage of Spirit" and it can "dwell in us," and the Holy Spirit is "the mind of the Father and Son" then are they the same thing?

The scriptures have explained that the "Holy Ghost" which dwells in you - this personage of Spirit - has the following other descriptions, or attributes:
-the Comforter
-the record of heaven
-the truth of all things
-that which has all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice and judgment.
This is a description of the personage of Spirit which dwells inside you. This is the Holy Ghost. This is something that can be in contact with the Holy Spirit, or the "mind of the Father and Son."

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2077 is a reply to message #2076] Thu, 24 January 2013 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
FreddyV wrote on Thu, 24 January 2013 05:50
Very interesting thought. I've asked these questions before, but I don't think it hurts to ask again.

1. How does a personage of spirit dwell in each of God's children, and yet still retain his identity as a personage?

Is it possible we are thinking too much in terms of mortal world physics? The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit with His own identity, but because He is spirit, He can dwell with (interact with?) our spirits. I don't think that means He dwells with us all the time, just that he can from time to time. The more in tune I become to the mind and will of the Father and the Son, the less I need the Holy Ghost to 'crash the gates' of my soul, so to speak. I see it as Joseph Smith initially needed the Urim and Thummim to translate, but later, he could translate by discerning the spirit directly without any aids.

Quote:
2. Does one have to be a personage of spirit in order for him to have his presence felt throughout the universe?
In other words, does Christ have the ability to have His presence felt throughout the universe even though He is a personage of tabernacle?
What about God the Father, does He have the ability to have His presence felt throughout the universe?

Christ's presence (Light of Christ) is more than just 'felt' throughout the universe. It IS the universe. Its what makes matter coherent and cells alive. I saw this in vision one time while giving a blessing.

Quote:

I think the confusing part in this part of the Lectures is that they seem to omit the Holy Ghost as a distinct personage. Should we infer that means there is no such being? I'm not sure. The Fifth Lecture contains this:

Quote:
[ Lec 5:2q] and all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ;

[ Lec 5:2r] possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all;

[ Lec 5:2s] being filled with the fullness of his glory, and become one in him, even as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one.

Quote:
Quote:

I believe they are the same thing. The mind of the Father and the Son can certainly be revealed and Their will carried out by the Holy Ghost. I don't see why we should think of those two terms (H.G. and H.S.) as being different from each other.

Quote:
-the Comforter
-the record of heaven
-the truth of all things

Names, titles, attributes -- they are often used interchangeably. I don't believe we should infer different beings are referred to just because different titles or attributes are described.

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2079 is a reply to message #2077] Thu, 24 January 2013 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=rdwhitaker wrote on Thu, 24 January 2013 11:19]

Quote:

Christ's presence (Light of Christ) is more than just 'felt' throughout the universe. It IS the universe. Its what makes matter coherent and cells alive. I saw this in vision one time while giving a blessing.

That is a wonderful testimony, and it is exactly what I believe too. This is described well in D&C 88:11-13.

Quote:

I think the confusing part in this part of the Lectures is that they seem to omit the Holy Ghost as a distinct personage. Should we infer that means there is no such being? I'm not sure. The Fifth Lecture contains this:

Quote:
[ Lec 5:2q] and all those who keep his commandments shall grow up from grace to grace, and become heirs of the heavenly kingdom, and joint heirs with Jesus Christ;

[ Lec 5:2r] possessing the same mind, being transformed into the same image or likeness, even the express image of him who fills all in all;

[ Lec 5:2s] being filled with the fullness of his glory, and become one in him, even as the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one.

Yes, and the Fifth Lecture also states this.

Quote:
Q. How many personages are there in the Godhead?
A. Two: the Father and the Son.

It also states that the Father and the Son share the same mind, which mind is the Holy Spirit. That doesn't sound like a personage to me.

Quote:

Quote:
I believe they are the same thing. The mind of the Father and the Son can certainly be revealed and Their will carried out by the Holy Ghost. I don't see why we should think of those two terms (H.G. and H.S.) as being different from each other.

I think of them as different because of the way in which they are described. In fact, this was the reason why the Lectures on Faith were removed from the Doctrine & Covenants. Church leaders could not reconcile how the Holy Spirit was described in the Fifth Lecture compared to what it states about the Holy Ghost in D&C 130.

Quote:
-the Comforter
-the record of heaven
-the truth of all things

Joseph Smith also stated that the Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation. I wonder what he means by that?

To me, the way the Godhead is described in the Fifth Lecture on Faith, is plain and simple. I do not ask you to see this how I do. I have received this truth via revelation and cannot force it upon anyone. I believe that the way the Holy Ghost is described as capable of being in contact with the "mind of the Father and Son," describes a very personal and sacred relationship we share with the Father and Son. To me, it makes the Gospel even that much more glorious, as well as simple.
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2080 is a reply to message #895] Thu, 24 January 2013 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand the concept that is being suggested. I still cannot reconcile it with some things. For example, I quickly looked up two verses in 1 Nephi that don't seem to fit well with your idea. They are:

Quote:
1 Ne. 10:17 I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of hold as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

I don't understand how the power of the Holy Ghost can be a gift unto all those who diligently seek him if the Holy Ghost is already within each of us as our own spirit. This scripture implies the opposite is possible, i.e., that the power of the Holy Ghost is NOT given to those who do not seek him. It those who don't seek him do not have their spirits in them, what is keeping them alive?

also,

Quote:
1 Ne. 11:11 ... for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.

Who was Nephi looking at and speaking to "as a man speaketh" and who was in the form of a man, which was the Spirit of the Lord? Earlier you defined the Spirit of the Lord as the mind and will of God, but not an entity. This scripture says otherwise.

I need to pray hard on this one!

Ryan

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2013 18:46]

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2081 is a reply to message #2080] Thu, 24 January 2013 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan,

You are asking wonderful questions. Perhaps, this gift of the Holy Ghost is the gift of being able to communicate with the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that is the "mind of the Lord." To be able to communicate with Holy Spirit is a gift. The fact that we all have a spirit that dwells within us doesn't mean that we are in tune with it, or that we as carnal physical beings are in communication with the world which is spiritual. To be in touch with the "mind of the Lord," is a gift. The Holy Spirit communicates to our Spirit. We may or may not hear that message depending on whether or not we receive the "Gift of the Holy Ghost." Is it the Holy Ghost that does not dwell with us, or is it the gift that does not dwell with us? Or perhaps, what would it be that would make our spirit Holy?

As for what keeps us alive, that is described in Mosiah 2:21, and D&C 88:13. It is the Holy Spirit that keeps us alive.

Quote:
I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another--

Quote:
The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things.

As for how Nephi describes speaking with the "Spirit of the Lord," it is exactly as it states, the Lord's spirit. The "Holy Spirit," is the mind of God.

Do our spirits have power? When we lived in the pre-existent spirit world, were we endowed with the priesthood? With what power did we use as we aided the Lord in the creation? What knowledge did we posses? What is meant by the "record of heaven?" How do we then recall the knowledge which is contained within our spirits? Why is it we cannot "remember" the details of all we knew prior to this earthly existence? Would being able to recall this knowledge contained within us be a gift?

Who was in the council described in Abraham 3? What did we see and hear and do?

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2013 20:06]

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2088 is a reply to message #895] Fri, 25 January 2013 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(Abraham 3:22-23.)

22 Now the Lord had shown unto me, Abraham, the intelligences that were organized before the world was; and among all these there were many of the noble and great ones;
23 And God saw these souls that they were good, and he stood in the midst of them, and he said: These I will make my rulers; for he stood among those that were spirits, and he saw that they were good; and he said unto me: Abraham, thou art one of them; thou wast chosen before thou wast born.

(Doctrine and Covenants 130:6-7.)

6 The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth;
7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.

Correlate the colors between these two verses and that should provide a key of understanding. The second verse cited should unlock the first. Perhaps a more in depth understanding of the meaning of "the light of Christ," the "Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit," the "Son," and "The Father."

The past, present and future with God consists of the ever-present "now." There are no boundaries with respect to time. It will be possible ... (our present reference) to literally travel to anytime, anywhere, in our state of choice - be that (in time-wise progression) light; intelligence; spirit; or soul.

(Some may recognize that the preceding information . . . without the colors . . . was given in a previous string of "Saviors of Other Worlds" in this "Deep Doctrine" forum.) If, in fact, this eternity is the ever present "now" that is indicated and Heavenly Father stood in the midst of "us" as intelligences, spirits, souls and subsequent "gods" in the ensuing council - being that we existed in all those states; (Possibly substantiated by the Brother of Jared . . .Mahonri Moriancomur . . .viewing the Savior with flesh and blood before He was mortal, and considering that there is often a "blurring" of the titles and functions between the Holy Ghost and the Spirit of Christ and the Light of Christ,) it remains reasonable in my estimation that the Holy Ghost has sufficient qualification to function in the capacity as the "Holy Spirit" (of Promise??) comprising the three roles. (Thusly being able to "resonate" as a Comforter as He speaks in all three capacities.) He, the Holy Ghost, being more "concentrated" as a personage, rather than all encompassing. As beings of Light or intelligences, I believe we were all given an endowment of the Light of Christ or intelligence of Christ as a "comprehensive" or "mind" enlightening gift to perceive who He was, is, and will be. As faithful spirits, we were further added upon by receiving an endowment of the Spirit of Christ allowing us to feel by virtue of a softened spiritual heart to understand and become like Him as He was, is, and will be. We have had to wait as baptized souls to receive the Holy Ghost which is the culmination of a three part "ordination" or "sealing" of a "pre-mortal" endowment. If this is the case, I would be inferring that we have had a "washing" by the light of Christ (and we talk about a baptism by fire??); an "anointing" by the Spirit of Christ; and a "sealing" by the Holy Ghost . . . all together comprising a spiritual endowment preparatory to a temporal one. I am one who hopes that I can receive a fulness . . . not only of this pre-mortal endowment, but of my mortal one, as well. Too, I guess this means that the Holy Ghost was one of those who received a fulness of the Spirit of Christ (Indeed, a special anointing.)

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2089 is a reply to message #895] Fri, 25 January 2013 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
The past, present and future with God consists of the ever-present "now." There are no boundaries with respect to time. It will be possible ... (our present reference) to literally travel to anytime, anywhere, in our state of choice - be that (in time-wise progression) light; intelligence; spirit; or soul.

This is a belief I am having a very hard time with. Every scripture quoted to prove it only indicates God can see the past, present, and future. None of them say God exists outside of time. Only mortals measure time because Gods have an infinite amount of it. I find this debate, and the question of Messiahs on other worlds pointless unless this point is clearly understood. What is the nature of God with regard to time? If God exists outside of time, then He is completely beyond our comprehension with regards to the previous cycle of existence or the next one. The question of which came first, the Chicken or the Egg is laughable if God exists outside of time. Yet that is what is being debated.

- Dragon
Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2090 is a reply to message #2089] Fri, 25 January 2013 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
I agree with you on that Dragon. I have long felt that the idea that God exists completely outside of time to be incorrect. Yes, all things are before Him. He KNOWS the beginning from the end. Any other interpretation, I believe, renders moot cause and effect. God does respond, this is not a negative. Consequence FOLLOWS choices. And of course it makes sense, like you point out that an eternal being has no need to measure time - but the argument that He is outside of time is flawed.

One example that comes to mind is in the D&C where the angels are wanting to begin the destructions, and God tells them to wait because the wheat is still tender and the wheat and tares need to grow together for a little season. If God and His angels are completely outside of time, there would be no "waiting" He would just insert them into the proper portion of the ever-present "now".

I don't think this is simply a matter of it being beyond our comprehension, I think it smacks of a God without body, parts or passions, who fills the universe and yet is small enough to dwell in a man's heart...

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2013 14:03]

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2091 is a reply to message #895] Fri, 25 January 2013 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I concur with your observations and your logic. There needs to be "procession" with God and cause and effect do happen for Him. I certainly don't mean to talk in absolutes and; therefore, I need to clarify that I believe that God is outside of OUR time. This means that the term "time" is relative and not absolute. It pertains to us. Here is the basis for my reasoning:

(Alma 40:8.)

8 Now whether there is more than one time appointed for men to rise it mattereth not; for all do not die at once, and this mattereth not; all is as one day with God, and time only is measured unto men.

Our time is based upon "cycles" relative to rotations and revolutions of planets, etc. Temporal time, then, is based upon that which is "assigned" to us in terms of location. Consider the "original" reference point about which everything else revolves. By definition, there would be NO time at this location, since it is the reference point. Now whether the center of our galaxy revolves or rotates about something else, I don't know. But I do know that Heavenly Father resides at the center about which everything else revolves. Too, I believe that He IS all powerful. To elaborate further, consider:

(2 Peter 3:8.)

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

This scripture suggests to my mind that Heavenly Father and possibly the angels ?? have the ability to transverse time. The foregoing scripture would indicate that He has the ability to cause time "dilation" and time "contraction." He can "amplify" and "attenuate" time. It would be a lengthy discussion, but recently I read the account of a near-death experience by a member of the Church, Kim Rives, who indicates that she was taken to the crucifixion and conversed with the Lord on the cross. If this is the case, there was interaction at that time index. This would mean that the Garden of Gethsemane would be a temple in which each of us would have our individual sins atoned for by the Savior at that time index. (This would infer time travel . . . backwards and forwards.) I have evidence to support the same kind of "dilation" and "contraction" with space.

Re: Identity of the Holy Ghost [message #2115 is a reply to message #2089] Tue, 29 January 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I believe time is temporary. This is alluded to here:

Doctrine and Covenants 84:100

The Lord hath redeemed his people; And Satan is bound and time is no longer. The Lord hath gathered all things in one. The Lord hath brought down Zion from above. The Lord hath brought up Zion from beneath.

Ryan

Previous Topic: The Adam God Theory
Next Topic: Signs of the Times
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:04:10 MDT 2024