Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Missionary Experiences » Three powerful experiences I had as a missionary
Three powerful experiences I had as a missionary [message #701] Tue, 24 July 2012 17:31 Go to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
I had three very memorable spiritual experiences as a missionary. Oddly enough, only one of these related to teaching the gospel.

The first was in the MTC. My companion and I did not get along, we were in many ways opposites, and sad to say, we were not focused with an eye single to the glory of God. the bad feelings built up and once or twice I wanted to physically assault the guy. Finally, one night I had had enough and prayed extensively about what I should do. I then invited him to pray with me, and I prayed that we could better understand one another and focus on accomplishing what we needed to while in the MTC and that we could bury the hatchet.

Later that evening I felt terrible and felt like I was under spiritual attack. I went to the "prayer closet" and I felt very afraid for my well-being, when suddenly all of the negative feelings and fear disappeared and I was given a strong feeling of peace and approval.

The second experience was about midway thru my mission in Japan. We were heading towards an area that we had decided to tract that day, and as we started down a street, I got a strong message that if we walked down that street, we would be killed. I asked Elder White if he felt anything, he was shaking and said that he felt we should return to the apartment, as he was suddenly feeling very ill. We did so and he was in bed ill for a few days following that. Not a positive spiritual experience, but still one I am very grateful for!

The third experience was regarding a family that we were teaching. They were both very converted to the gospel, but felt that they could not join the church because of parental disapproval. In Japan, respecting parents wishes on such things even into adulthood is a very strong cultural thing. I felt that we should quit teaching them as they had received all of thee discussions multiple times and it was not a question of lack of knowledge or of belief. I very much did not want to end discussions with them as they were a wonderful couple, but the spirit confirmed to me that this was the correct course.

At the end of the lesson I bore my testimony to them. I told them that I knew that they also had a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel, and with tears streaming down their faces they agreed that was true. We did not return to teach them, and I do not know if they ever joined the church. But there was an incredible outpouring of the spirit and was a powerful moment that has stayed with me.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: Three powerful experiences I had as a missionary [message #723 is a reply to message #701] Thu, 26 July 2012 09:14 Go to previous message
bishop is currently offline  bishop
Thanks, Denryu. It amazes me at how the Lord touches the lives of 19 year olds when they submit ti his will.

Bishop
Next Topic: As a missionary
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:43:38 MDT 2024