Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » The Great Apostasy and a few small ones too... (Define and discuss the cause, results and solution of the Great Apostasy and how the world and individuals can overcome it... )
The Great Apostasy and a few small ones too... [message #564] Wed, 27 June 2012 10:16 Go to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
I started this thread to define and discuss the cause, results and solution of the Great Apostasy and how the world and individuals can overcome it...

I was inspired to start this topic because of the following comment by Scootd28

Quote:
"I'm reaching for the glory, (not personal, but to glorify God) but on all sides I see roads and snares that lead nowhere but apostacy.

By understanding apostasy, its cause, results and solutions we are able to avoid the snares. This goes back to learning to build on "The Rock".

"Hel. 5:12"
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

We are told here, and I believe it, that if we build on "the rock" which is the ONLY "sure foundation", that no matter what snares are sent our way, no matter what storms we face, we will remain on the solid foundation. The promise is that if we build on "the rock", WE CANNOT FALL!

This is a HUGE Promise! It is a requirement for receiving our C&E. When we are built on the rock so that we cannot fall, then God can give us the promise knowing full well that he isn't gambling or guessing whether or not we will make it. It becomes a sure thing because NOTHING can knock of off our sure foundation. (Granted that we can choose to step down and become son's of perdition as did Cain, but we will know full well what we are doing before doing it and make a conscious choice, not a mistake.)

This brings up another scripture which I have seen argued endlessly...

"Matt. 24:23-24
"Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

The question is, is is possible to deceive the elect? Who are the elect?

The elect are those who have been called and heard the call and heed the call and have thus been "elected" or selected or chosen. They are those who have their calling and election made sure or certain.

Can the elect fall? No, they are built on the rock or sure foundation from which they cannot fall. They have already been judged and found acceptable. They have passed their tests and Satan with all his whirl winds and storms has no power over them. The false Christs and false prophets would deceive the elect if it was possible, but it is not possible. Why is it not possible? Because they cannot fall. Why can they not fall? Because they are built on "the rock" which is also to say that they have overcome the apostasy which they previously had been experiencing.

Nearly all men, women and children today are wandering in apostasy and do not know it.

What is apostasy?
Re: The Great Apostasy and a few small ones too... [message #3605 is a reply to message #564] Fri, 09 March 2018 22:16 Go to previous message
The Airbender is currently offline  The Airbender
Apostasy is a departure from the truth, plain and simple. At least that's how I see it. It was made a big deal of in Mexico. Everyone was quick to point out when someone taught or shared something that was "apostasia." In all my years back in the states it seems like the word is hardly used.
Previous Topic: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
Next Topic: The Word of Wisdom - Hot Drinks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 02:24:07 MDT 2024