Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Current Church Doctrine » The Law of Tithing
The Law of Tithing [message #511] Mon, 18 June 2012 17:48 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Quote:
"The simplest statement we know of is the statement of the Lord himself, namely, that the members of the Church should pay 'one-tenth of all their interest annually,' which is understood to mean income. No one is justified in making any other statement than this" (First Presidency letter, Mar. 19, 1970).

In other words, the way you define your income, and consequently your tithing, is a matter between you and the Lord. Prayerfully seek the Lord's guidance on issues like taxes, gifts, scholarships, and other matters to determine what qualifies as a full tithe.

Here we have the official position of the church. The way you define your income is a matter between you and the Lord. Therefore, I am free to decide whether this means gross, net, surplus, or every tenth green jellybean I get, as long as I believe the Lord approves.
Church culture, however, says it must be 1/10th of the gross income. But the LDS Church does not get a copy of the W2, and trust each individual to work out their tithing with God.

What's more, the church has allowed multiple LDS authors, some of them Apostles, to write books which contradict each other. They allow for freedom of the press, and dissenting opinions, so long as it does not extend to slandering the leaders, or calling for the overthrow of the church.

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: Article of Faith 11 [message #515 is a reply to message #511] Mon, 18 June 2012 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Dragon wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 17:48
Quote:
"The simplest statement we know of is the statement of the Lord himself, namely, that the members of the Church should pay 'one-tenth of all their interest annually,' which is understood to mean income. No one is justified in making any other statement than this" (First Presidency letter, Mar. 19, 1970).

In other words, the way you define your income, and consequently your tithing, is a matter between you and the Lord. Prayerfully seek the Lord's guidance on issues like taxes, gifts, scholarships, and other matters to determine what qualifies as a full tithe.

Here we have the official position of the church. The way you define your income is a matter between you and the Lord. Therefore, I am free to decide whether this means gross, net, surplus, or every tenth green jellybean I get, as long as I believe the Lord approves.
Church culture, however, says it must be 1/10th of the gross income. But the LDS Church does not get a copy of the W2, and trust each individual to work out their tithing with God.

What's more, the church has allowed multiple LDS authors, some of them Apostles, to write books which contradict each other. They allow for freedom of the press, and dissenting opinions, so long as it does not extend to slandering the leaders, or calling for the overthrow of the church.

- Dragon

It's interesting to me that the church defines tithing in this way today, since when it was first instituted in the early LDS church, it was "one-tenth of your interest", which originally meant 10% of your SURPLUS. It had nothing to do with your gross or net income. 10% of someone's gross or even net income is a LOT more than 10% of one's SURPLUS. But I certainly agree that it's between us and the Lord.

~Jules
Re: The Law of Tithing [message #649 is a reply to message #515] Sun, 15 July 2012 14:56 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
I have pondered somewhat upon why the church leaders are unwilling to clarify this point of doctrine when the generally accepted meaning has changed. The answer, when I realized it, is quite obvious.

Paying on 10% of the gross is easy, and no one can argue one should pay more. By this means, individuals are TOLD what to pay by someone other than the Lord. This is the lazy way to pay tithing, even though it usually requires people to pay more than other methods.

In order to pay tithing on the surplus, we must first HAVE a surplus. This requires we manage our finances in such a way that we are self-sufficient, understand our needs today and in the future, and designate a portion of our earnings each month/year as surplus, or beyond the needs of the family supported by the income. Paying on the surplus requires money management, a relationship with God, and concern for those who will benefit from the tithes.

If you think of the average member of the LDS Church, do they manage their finances well? No. We have been told to do so many times, but we are still being told not to go into debt. Why? Because debt, other than for purchase of a home or student loans, spends more money than we have today, eliminating our surplus income now, and in the future. One cannot have surplus income and a credit card payment at the same time.

What about a relationship with God? It has been pointed out in other forums the LDS Church uses fear of God to motivate the congregation until they Come Unto Christ, and learn to be motivated by love. Most of the LDS Church is somewhere between motivation by fear of God and motivation by love of God. If one obeys through fear alone, the tithes would be the minimum one could justify paying, which results in no surplus income due to the selfish and justified 'needs' of the individual.

The last part is vital if one is to pay on the surplus. We must love others more than ourselves, and thus learn to live within our means for the express purpose of using the surplus to help others through tithes and offerings.

Once we have achieved this relationship of Love with God, and a love of others, we are eligible for the Church of the Firstborn, are we not? The LDS Church cannot knowingly preach against the higher law, but neither can they function financially if those who are not ready for this law attempt to pay tithes only on the surplus. Thus they allow ambiguity and a strict culture to keep people paying tithes out of fear, both of God and their fellow church members. The thinking is something like: I make $5,000 per month, but I only have $600 of surplus each month. If I only pay $60, others will accuse me of being unfaithful, and I think God wants more of his money. So I'll pay the $500 per month to make sure my Fire Insurance policy is valid.

In the Church of the Firstborn, it is easier to understand. The same circumstances would yield the following thinking: I make $5000, but I only have a surplus of $600. Are there any ways I can reduce my expenses? Have I saved for my family's financial stability and future? Having done this, I only have $60 to give for tithes. I must now pray to know what God wants me to do with the other $540 of surplus. Perhaps some of it can be used to increase my income or decrease my expenses so that next month I will have more tithing to offer.

In the second example, there is no fear of one's neighbors or criticism. There is concern for others, and for managing finances. After all, the size of our bank account will not get us into heaven, but we ARE judged on how we manage it.

[Side note: According to official LDS Church policy, I am not justified in stating any of the above. However, I'm done with being quiet.]

- Dragon

[Updated on: Sun, 15 July 2012 15:00]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Arguments for a Christian Army
Next Topic: Knowledge enough to sin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:17:23 MDT 2024