Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Gospel Doctrine: Book of Mormon Lesson 24 (Notes of scripture verses)
Gospel Doctrine: Book of Mormon Lesson 24 [message #536] Sat, 23 June 2012 23:47
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Here are my notes in preparing the lesson. Any comments on my 'cliff notes' or verses I should have highlighted are welcome. I hope to add my thoughts on it after the lesson has been taught.

Pictures: 62557 62371
Alma 13:2-3 Foreordained unto the Melchizedek priesthood,
Alma 13:4 (4-9) All could have it
Alma 13:18 Melchizedek is the Prince of Peace
Alma 13:25-26 Prophecies and timing of His coming
Alma 14: 1-2 People repent, others are angry
Alma 14:6-7 Zeezrom tries to help
Alma 14:10 Burning of Amulek's family and friends
Alma 14:20-22 Torture of Alma and Amulek
Alma 14:26 (26-29)How Long, O, Lord? Joseph Smith D&C 121:3
Alma 15:16 The Sacrifice of Amulek
Prison Destroyed: February 12th, 81 BC
Lamanites Enter Ammonihah: June 5th, 81 BC
Alma 16:15-16 Gospel preached, no inequality among them

We started with a nice discussion of Predestination, leading into Foreordination. Alma says many have been foreordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood, because they were more faithful in the preexistence. What's more, those who hold the priesthood have a duty to teach the gospel to the world to give others a chance to soften their hearts, etc.

Alma compares the city of Ammonihah to the city of Salem which Melchizedek converted to the gospel. Alma ends the part of his sermon we have by talking about expecting Jesus' coming soon.

There are opportunities here to go deeper about Foreordination, choices in the pre-existence, the purpose of the Melchizedek Priesthood, and the importance of a soft heart, which is a willingness to learn new things through the Spirit.

The torture of Alma and Amulek and the burning of the wives and children remind me of various other situations, such as Joseph Smith in prison.

After the city of Ammonihah is destroyed, Alma establishes a Zion society. Lots of great material in this lesson.

- Dragon

- Dragon

[Updated on: Sun, 24 June 2012 19:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 43
Next Topic: Gospel Doctrine - Book of Mormon - Lesson 25
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:29:50 MDT 2024