Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Our Progression as Spirits (Discussion as to What we Accomplished as Spirits)
Our Progression as Spirits [message #476] Mon, 11 June 2012 10:35 Go to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
I have seen some discussions regarding "Seers" which have danced around this concept without really getting to it... So, here is my attempt to do just that.

Sometimes I enjoy asking questions and letting people come to there own conclusions. This time, I think I'll stick out my neck a bit and answer my own questions and see what thoughts others can add...

The question is, How far did we progress as spirits before gaining a mortal body?

I believe that we progressed as far as spirits could progress without receiving a body. I think this is commonly taught church doctrine. what is not commonly taught is what that means to us...

How far can a spirit progress without a body?

Well, the spirit Jehovah had progressed to become a God prior to receiving a body. And we are all aware that the Holy Ghost also progressed to becoming a God and according to current LDS Doctrine has yet to receive a body.

So we know that spirits can progress to become God's prior to receiving bodies. To me this makes sense and further, the spirit says to me that we, having progressed as far as spirit is able to progress without a body likewise had progressed to becoming Gods in the Spirit world.

Now we are building on our first estate and having mastered it we are now adding to it the second estate which we are attempting to master thereby becoming Gods over it as well.

This then bring us to the questions that follow:
  1. What did we do as Gods in the premortal world?
  2. What gifts and powers did we have then?
  3. Do our glorified spirits continue to have these same gifts and powers?
  4. Can we relearn to use these gifts and powers as spiritual beings having a physical experience?
I think this is a good start, lets see how deep we can go with this...
Re: Our Progression as Spirits [message #478 is a reply to message #476] Mon, 11 June 2012 11:32 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
1. What did we do as Gods in the premortal world?
Quote:
And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;
- Abraham 3:24
Quote:
And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
- Revelation 12:7

These show me we could and did affect the physical world, and we fought with one another, meaning we could make choices, and some chose to act against the will of God.

I have other theories about what we may have done prior to this life, but reincarnation is a different topic, discussed in a different thread.

2. What gifts and powers did we have then?
As shown above, we had the power to change the physical world, to make an earth. We also had some means to injure each other, or so the word 'war' suggests to me. For if there was nothing I could do to a fellow spirit, it would be a discussion, not a war.

Someone in the pre-existence had the ability to take intelligences and form them into spirit children. Was this exclusive to God, or did we have this ability as well?

3. Do our glorified spirits continue to have these same gifts and powers?

Can you please define a 'glorified spirit'? I am familiar with a glorified being, having both spirit and body, but a glorified spirit? Is this during our time on earth, or in the spirit world before resurrection?

4. Can we relearn to use these gifts and powers as spiritual beings having a physical experience?

Some of the abilities which we possessed in our prior life depended upon authority to act. So it is now. There is nothing which a spirit could do without a body which a righteous priesthood holder cannot do when his actions are the will of God.

In addition, there are some abilities, such as speaking with the tongue of angels, astral projection, and some of the other 'psychic' abilities which can be relearned, even when rejecting God as a participant.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: How Great Shall Be Your Joy
Next Topic: Sinning as Spirits in the Premortal World
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 12:12:38 MDT 2024