Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Angels, Demons, Miracles and the like... » Other Special Experiences » The Gift of a Seer (An experience with talking to my dead...)
The Gift of a Seer [message #408] Mon, 28 May 2012 09:59 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
The following story happened about a year ago. It is an example of what it can be like to be a seer. To be a seer means to see the unseen and hear the unspoken. In this case, it was to breach the veil and commune with the spirits of the dead...

My Grandfather had been taken to the hospital. He was dying and had been revived once already. His wife, my Grandma, had died a number of years before after a difficult battle with Alzheimer's. My mother, his natural daughter, and my father went home to say their final farewells.

We, Mrs. Seeker and I, had been invited to go as well. We were strongly considering it and had the following thoughts...

• He is drugged up and in and out of consciousness and so not really open to a good discussion.
  • He has his immediate family present and they need to say good bye more than we do. So he will spend his time with them anyway.
  • It will be easier to talk with him after he dies because he will be more coherent and available. This was a conclusion made based on previous experience.

Based on these things we decided not to go see him.

After making the decision not to go, I realized that I hadn't talked with Grandma, his wife, since she died years before. So, I immediately asked her how she was doing. We had the following conversation:

Quote:
Seeker Hey Grandma, how are you doing?
Grandma Not well!
Seeker Really, why?
Grandma I am upset!
Seeker Oh?
Grandma Grandpa remarried and she's a hussy and a "floozy".
Seeker Do you really mean that?
Grandma Well, she not so bad, it's just that I spent a lot of time making sure that my estate was going to be given to my children and posterity and grandpa is messing everything up!
Seeker What do you mean?
Grandma - Well, grandpa is changing everything we did and I really don't like what he's doing! Now I can't stop him!
Seeker Ouch, that really sounds frustrating!
Grandma When he gets here, I'm gonna have words with him. He's got another thing com'n.
Grandma It's my stuff/junk and I want it to go to my kids! If they don't want it, that's their problem, and they can get rid of it themselves, but I want to give it to them! It will mean something to them. That was the arrangement Grandpa and I made and that's what I want to happen!
Grandma I don't know that it'll do much good, But I need you to tell him to stop it!
Seeker Um, you want me to tell him that I spoke with his dead wife and she said don't change the estate plans, your messing everything up? How well do you think that will go over?
Grandma Well, you've got to do something...
Seeker ok, ... How about if I talk to my mom and tell her that you're not happy with changes to the estate that Grandpa is making and ask her if she will find a way to pass the word on to Grandpa. She is there and visiting with him maybe she can find a way to tell him that isn't too uncomfortable or awkward.
Grandma Well, it'll have ta do. Thanks...
(Then grandma went back to worrying and being generally displeased...)

So then I called my Dad's Cell Phone. (My mom doesn't have a cell phone.) My dad answered and I told him that Grandma was displeased with the changes Grandpa was making to the will. He said, "You'd better tell your mother" and handed the phone to her.

I told her that Grandma was displeased with the changes Grandpa was making to there Will and Estate plans. (I didn't know they had setup a trust, just that how it was being handled had changed.) And we had the following conversation:

Quote:
Mom - "Who told you?"
Seeker Grandma did. I hadn't talked with her for so long and with Grandpa dying, I wondered how she was doing and so asked her and she was very focused on what Grandpa was doing with their estate. She also called his new wife a Floozy! :/
Mom Well, let me tell you. We just left the hospital to get some lunch. While at the hospital we found out that Grandpa had called in a lawyer to change the trust that manages their estate. His new wife is old and won't be around very long and he wants the estate to take care of her until she dies. After she dies, everything is supposed to go to Grandma & Grandpa's children.
Seeker Well, that seems to sound like a nice idea, but Grandma is very displeased with the changes that are being made. She said she's "gonna have words with him". Anyway, if you get a chance, could you pass on the message to Grandpa that Grandma isn't pleased? I told her I would tell you and see if you could let Grandpa know.
Mom What am I going to say, "My son was talking to your dead wife and he says that she is really upset with the changes you're making to the trust...
Seeker Yeah. I told Grandma the same thing. Is there a way you can bring it up without sounding crazy?
Mom Well, I will be in some of the discussions as the trust is being changed. I'll see what I can do.

So, my mom told her father that Grandma made her final arrangements and plans and that it was disrespecting her to change them. She also said that Grandma wanted her stuff to go to her children. The children didn't want to make it about the money or about who gets what, they wanted to focus on Grandpa and his dying wishes. The end result, as far as I know, is that Grandpa gave everything they owned, (which was quite substantial in the form of bank accounts, real estate, and personal property), to his new wife to take care of her till she died and when she died it went to her children from previous marriages. I don't think Grandpa and Grandma's children got any of the things Grandma wanted to go to her children.

I spoke with Grandma and Grandpa after they died. Grandma said smiling with a playful jab, "Oh, I had words with him..." And Grandpa skirted the issue in the way he does when he doesn't want to talk about something. lol

Before this experience, I knew nothing of the trust or that Grandpa was changing anything. I hadn't seen or even talked to Grandpa for many years. (Not really close to my extended family.) I might have heard that he got remarried, but certainly had forgotten about it and never met the new wife.

The story above isn't complete or exact. More rushed and simplified. It was a bit more complex with more interactions, but what I have shared is accurate and detailed enough.

AshleyB,

Don't be afraid of your gift. It will come very naturally and will require a significant amount of faith which you must have already or the Lord would not have given you such great dreams and promises.

As we begin to breach the veil, we have to face a few things. The first is that you have to face the fact that it is real. It is one thing to believe in a theory, or even talk about it in church classes as if it were real. It is another thing entirely when you experience it for yourself and it enters the real world. Into your real world! When things become real we often become afraid and close our eyes to it. Like babies who think that if they can't see it then it doesn't exist. This is part of the unbelief that makes he veil so strong.

Another thing you may experience is that up until now it has been someone else, not you. It has been the prophet or scriptures or some person in history. Now it's you. You're the seer, or a seer. You are the one that scriptures will be written about. The question is, what will your story be like? Will it be a Jonah type story or a Brother of Jared type story? You get to decide how the story will be told. I look forward to reading it. Wink

Seeker

~ Seeker
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #411 is a reply to message #408] Mon, 28 May 2012 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashleyd is currently offline  Ashleyd
I found this story to be somewhat funny actually. I really laughed about Grandma calling his new wife a hussie. Sometimes I still have to remind myself that we really are the same people once we die and we're not magically different. I was sort of surprised by the story just because I sometimes get this idea in my head that once we die we have a better eternal perspective and we wouldn't concern ourselves with things like that. Not saying I can't understand Grandma's plight because I wouldn't have been happy about that either. And I can relate a little because my dad had a g/f when he died and I really did not like her and saw her as a con artist so I can relate to that somewhat. I just find it so interesting that you thought to talk with Grandma and so you just started talking with her just like that. That's neat. It sure would be nice to be able to chat with my dad like that and be able to remember it. I wonder what he would say and if he would be getting mad at me for some stuff. lol

And I guess as far as seeing and hearing things it's probably not even something you could explain to someone how you do it. Im guessing it just happens? I know if it's the Lord's will and Im not just crazy that things will begin to happen in their own time and in the Lord's way. I know that as I was reading the scriptures and I was reading a section about the second comforter and how the Lord would reveal his face to the pure in heart who seek in his own time those words really came to me this time with a lot of power and I felt that the Lord was telling me if I continued on the path as I am that it would happen. It gave me a lot of comfort. But for now, Im still just a little baby in the gospel. I still don't know If I have even experienced Baptism by Fire yet. And so my journey continues......
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #429 is a reply to message #411] Tue, 29 May 2012 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

I've been looking into this more because seeing, talking with, feeling, and interacting with spirits - both good and bad has been something I've done my entire life. I realize that this is a gift of the spirit, but based on the following and some other things I've read, I'm wondering if being a "SEER" is referring to a different gift than the ability to interact with spirits? Can anyone help clarify this?

Quote:
"13 Now Ammon said unto him: I can assuredly tell thee, O king, of a man that can atranslate the records; for he has wherewith that he can look, and translate all records that are of ancient date; and it is a gift from God. And the things are called binterpreters, and no man can look in them except he be commanded, lest he should look for that he ought not and he should perish. And whosoever is commanded to look in them, the same is called cseer.

14 And behold, the king of the people who are in the land of Zarahemla is the man that is commanded to do these things, and who has this high gift from God.

15 And the king said that a aseer is greater than a prophet.

16 And Ammon said that a seer is a revelator and a prophet also; and a gift which is greater can no man have, except he should possess the power of God, which no man can; yet a man may have great power given him from God.

17 But a seer can know of things which are past, and also of things which are to come, and by them shall all things be revealed, or, rather, shall secret things be made manifest, and hidden things shall come to light, and things which are not known shall be made known by them, and also things shall be made known by them which otherwise could not be known."

According to the BD, this is what a SEER is:

Quote:
"Seer. "A seer is a revelator and a prophet also" (Mosiah 8:1516), and when necessary he can use the Urim and Thummim or holy interpreters (Mosiah 8:13; 28:16). There have been many seers in the history of God's people on this earth, but not so many as there have been prophets. "A seer is greater than a prophet ... and a gift which is greater can no man have ..." (Mosiah 8:1518). Joseph Smith is the great seer of the latter days. In addition, the First Presidency, the Council of the Twelve, and the Patriarch to the Church are sustained as prophets, seers, and revelators. For other references see 1 Sam. 9:9; 2 Sam. 24:11; 2 Kgs. 17:13; 1 Chr. 29:29; 2 Chr. 9:29; 33:19; Isa. 29:10; 30:10; JST John 1:42; 2 Ne. 3:614; D&C 21:1; 107:92; 124:94, 125; 127:12; 135:3; Moses 6:36, 38."

That says something different than what I'm understanding - am I missing something?

Seeker, do you have more info or sources for what you said here:

Quote:
"To be a seer means to see the unseen and hear the unspoken."

~Jules
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #430 is a reply to message #429] Tue, 29 May 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

I'm wondering if these would apply instead:

Quote:
"The beholding of angels and ministering spirits" (Moroni 10:14).

"Discerning of spirits" (1 Corinthians 12:10; D&C 46:23).

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId= 3d8ef73c28d98010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=bbd50 8f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

~Jules
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #431 is a reply to message #430] Tue, 29 May 2012 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These are some of the same reasons why I didn't understand what a seer was at first Jules. But after the Lord told me in that dream that the gift I was shown meant that I was to be a seer I started TRYING to look into it more. I still don't know a ton about it but it is my opinion that being a seer actually encompasses many different things. It also encompass being a prophet. Or knowing things past, present, and future. And this would include but is not limited to the ministering of Angels and the discerning of spirits. Im beginning to believe that there are many different gifts that can be involved with being a seer. Just my opinion so I could be wrong but I am inclined to look at it that way partially because of my personal experience...ie: the dream I had. But I never would have associated seer with those gifts either.
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #432 is a reply to message #431] Tue, 29 May 2012 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Good point Ashley, maybe I'm only looking at one small corner of the picture!

~Jules
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #433 is a reply to message #429] Tue, 29 May 2012 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Seeker, do you have more info or sources for what you said here:

This is a reasonable quote from Elder Widtsoe regarding the distinctions between the terms Prophet, Seer & Revelator.

Although I don't agree with Elder Widtsoe entirely, the distinctions in the roles seems to be correct to me. I believe that a Seer is both a prophet and a revelator and that contrary to Elder Widtsoe a Prophet is the least of these, not the greatest.
"(Apostle) Elder John A. Widtsoe"
"What Is The Meaning Of
"The three separate titles in the general title have much the same meaning in popular usage, yet there are differences sufficiently important to justify their use.

"A prophet is a teacher. That is the essential meaning of the word. He teaches the body of truth, the gospel, revealed by the Lord to man; and under inspiration explains it to the understanding of the people. He is an expounder of truth. Moreover, he shows that the way to human happiness is through obedience to God's law. He calls to repentance those who wander away from the truth. He becomes a warrior for the consummation of the Lord's purposes with respect to the human family. The purpose of his life is to uphold the Lord's plan of salvation. All this he does by close communion with the Lord, until he is 'full of power by the spirit of the Lord.' (Micah 3:8; see also D&C 20:26; 34:10; 43:16)
"The teacher must learn before he can teach. Therefore in ancient and modern times there have been schools of the prophets, in which the mysteries of the kingdom have been taught to men who would go out to teach the gospel and to fight the battles of the Lord. These 'prophets' need not be called to an office; they go out as teachers of truth, always and everywhere.

"A prophet also receives revelations from the Lord. These may be explanations of truths already received, or new truths not formerly possessed by man. Such revelations are always confined to the official position held. The lower will not receive revelations for the higher office.

"In the course of time the word 'prophet' has come to mean, perhaps chiefly, a man who receives revelations, and directions from the Lord. The principal business of a prophet has mistakenly been thought to foretell coming events, to utter prophecies, which is only one of the several prophetic functions.

"In the sense that a prophet is a man who receives revelations from the Lord, the titles 'seer and revelator' merely amplify the larger and inclusive meaning of the title 'prophet.' Clearly, however, there is much wisdom in the specific statement of the functions of the prophet as seer and revelator, as is done in the conferences of the Church.

"A seer is one who sees with spiritual eyes. He perceives the meaning of that which seems obscure to others; therefore he is an interpreter and clarifier of eternal truth. He foresees the future from the past and the present. This he does by the power of the Lord operating through him directly, or indirectly with the aid of divine instruments such as the Urim and Thummim. In short, he is one who sees, who walk in the Lord's light with open eyes. (Book of Mormon, Mosiah 8:15-17)

"A revelator makes known, with the Lord's help, something before unknown. It may be new or forgotten truth, or a new or forgotten application of known truth to man's need. Always, the revelator deals with truth, certain truth (D&C 100:11) and always it comes with the divine stamp of approval. Revelation may be received in various ways, but it always presupposes that the revelator has so lived and conducted himself as to be in tune or harmony with the divine spirit of revelation, the spirit of truth, and therefore capable of receiving divine messages.

"In summary: A prophet is a teacher of known truth; a seer is a perceiver of hidden truth, a revelator is a bearer of new truth. In the widest sense, the one most commonly used, the title, prophet, includes the other titles and makes of the prophet, a teacher, perceiver, and bearer of truth." - (Apostle) Elder John A. Widtsoe, (1960). Evidences and Reconciliations, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 25658.

From teachings of the living Prophets Institute manual we read the following definition of a Seer."http: //institute.lds.org/manuals/teachings-of-the-livings-prophet s/tlp-2-3.asp "
What Is a Seer?

A seer is one who sees "things which [are] not visible to the natural eye" ( Moses 6:36 ). By seeing through his "spiritual eyes" ( Moses 1:11 ), a seer obtains knowledge of truths beyond the vision of other mortals. By seeing in vision that to which God opens to the "eyes of [his] understanding" ( D&C 110:1 ; 76:12 ), a seer is able to see whatever is expedient in the past, present, or future and is able to interpret and clarify eternal truths. Enoch and Moses are scriptural examples of seers (see Moses 1:811, 2729 ; 6:3536 ; 7:2167 .) The following account from the Book of Mormon teaches several significant concepts about the role of a seer:

"Now Ammon said unto him: I can assuredly tell thee, O king, of a man that can translate the records; for he has wherewith that he can look, and translate all records that are of ancient date; and it is a gift from God. And the things are called interpreters, and no man can look in them except he be commanded, lest he should look for that he ought not and he should perish. And whosoever is commanded to look in them, the same is called seer.

"And behold, the king of the people who are in the land of Zarahemla is the man that is commanded to do these things, and who has this high gift from God.

"And the king said that a seer is greater than a prophet.

"And Ammon said that a seer is a revelator and a prophet also; and a gift which is greater can no man have, except he should possess the power of God, which no man can; yet a man may have great power given him from God.

"But a seer can know of things which are past, and also of things which are to come, and by them shall all things be revealed, or, rather, shall secret things be made manifest, and hidden things shall come to light, and things which are not known shall be made known by them, and also things shall be made known by them which otherwise could not be known." ( Mosiah 8:1317 .)

Elder Orson F. Whitney explained the role of a seer in this way:

"A seer is greater than a prophet [see Mosiah 8:15 ]. One may be a prophet without being a seer; but a seer is essentially a prophet--if by 'prophet' is meant not only a spokesman, but likewise a foreteller. Joseph Smith was both prophet and seer.

"A seer is one who sees. But it is not the ordinary sight that is meant. The seeric gift is a supernatural endowment. Joseph was 'like unto Moses;' and Moses, who saw God face to face, explains how he saw him in these words: 'Now mine own eyes have beheld God; yet not my natural, but my spiritual eyes; for my natural eyes could not have beheld; for I should have withered and died in his presence; but his glory was upon me; and I beheld his face, for I was transfigured before him.' [ Moses 1:11 .] Such is the testimony of the ancient Seer, as brought to light by the Seer of Latter-days [Joseph Smith]." ( Saturday Night Thoughts, pp. 3940.)

A seer can translate ancient texts, but there is so much more to it...

~ Seeker
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #434 is a reply to message #433] Wed, 30 May 2012 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

This is awesome information Seeker, and clarifies a lot for me! Thank you!! Now more praying about it....... Smile

~Jules

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2012 00:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #441 is a reply to message #434] Thu, 31 May 2012 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eve_ is currently offline  Eve_
Seeker, that was an interesting experience you had. I was surprised, because my mother showed a marked disinterest in what she had left behind, but the circumstances were different (as well as the personalities involved, no doubt). Perhaps I'll share some of my experiences with my mother sometime.
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #443 is a reply to message #441] Thu, 31 May 2012 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
That would be wonderful, I would personally love to hear your stories!
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #444 is a reply to message #443] Thu, 31 May 2012 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So would I. Smile
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #446 is a reply to message #433] Fri, 01 June 2012 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Seeker, thanks for posting about your experiences, and also for answering Ashley's questions so thoughtfully and thoroughly. She and I have PM'd back and forth quite a bit about the gift of being a Seer - as I'm trying to figure out my own spiritual gifts, and this (below) and some of your other posts have really helped me start putting pieces together. This part in particular was helpful:

Seeker wrote on Sun, 27 May 2012 16:12

A seer is a person who has the ability to see with their spiritual eyes, (as opposed to using their natural eyes). They can see with their spiritual eyes that which cannot be seen and they hear with their spiritual ears that which was not said.
For example, using our Spiritual eyes, we can see things not available to our natural eyes.

Just to give a little background (the EXTREME Reader's Digest version...), as I mentioned above I've been able to see and hear (audibly and "in my head), and feel (presence and physical touch), etc... good and bad spirits. This has been really cool sometimes, and very scary sometimes - as I'm left open to interaction with spirits who are not good - like I talked about here: [ http://www.elliaison.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=131&am p;start=0&rid=35&S=a0f6f78c873a09ef8eba172d67030519]

I've also been "given" small visions of the future - mainly pertaining to my family and my own circumstances that were confirmed by the spirit.

As I've studied the Gospel the way I have the past several years, it seems I've been "given" information and understandings and I see things in ways I don't know how to verbalize, but I KNOW they are true.

So after a suggestion from my wise friend Ashley to pray about these things, I asked the Father how to develop these gifts and what He wants me to do with them. An interesting thing happened as I said those words - the blackness I described in my link above, started thickening and closing in outside my bedroom and then into my bedroom, and I felt a presence I did not like. I kept praying though, and it went away. I felt the spirit testify that my prayer was a good one - that I was asking the right things, and that "yes", God DID give me these gifts for a reason, but did not receive any answers yet.

But I wanted to ask two questions to see if you have some insight, since you seem to have a MUCH greater understanding than I do:

** How can I exercise and develop these gifts and the gift of Seership?

** What does one DO with a gift like this? It doesn't seem like I've accomplished anything really important with it so far, so what would someone with this kind of gift DO for the Lord?

Seeker you also said this:

Seeker wrote on Tue, 29 May 2012 21:23

** So do ALL Seers have that gift or is it just one of the things that would fit into the category of Seership?

Sorry if I am asking so many questions and sound so clueless - but about this - I really am! Embarrassed But I'd really like to understand these things about myself and as I said - strengthen the spiritual gifts I've been given and learn what God intends for me to do with them!

Jules

~Jules
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #447 is a reply to message #446] Fri, 01 June 2012 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great post Jules. I echo many of your thoughts as usual and the question about DOING is a good one. I will be interested in what others have to say about that in light of the gift of being a seer. I think that was part of the purpose of the dreams that I had. So the Lord could demonstrate just how I would be helping others with my gift. All I can say is that if those things truly come to pass then I am REALLY going to be looked at as a "wierdo." lol But at least I will know I am in good company since you are a weirdo too. Wink
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #448 is a reply to message #447] Fri, 01 June 2012 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Ashleyd wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 23:29
Great post Jules. I echo many of your thoughts as usual and the question about DOING is a good one. I will be interested in what others have to say about that in light of the gift of being a seer. I think that was part of the purpose of the dreams that I had. So the Lord could demonstrate just how I would be helping others with my gift. All I can say is that if those things truly come to pass then I am REALLY going to be looked at as a "wierdo." lol But at least I will know I am in good company since you are a weirdo too. Wink

Haha Ashley! I love you! And I'm grateful to be a "weirdo"!! Very Happy

~Jules
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #459 is a reply to message #431] Wed, 06 June 2012 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashleyd wrote on Tue, 29 May 2012 20:16
But after the Lord told me in that dream that the gift I was shown meant that I was to be a seer I started TRYING to look into it more. I still don't know a ton about it but it is my opinion that being a seer actually encompasses many different things. It also encompass being a prophet. Or knowing things past, present, and future. And this would include but is not limited to the ministering of Angels and the discerning of spirits. Im beginning to believe that there are many different gifts that can be involved with being a seer. Just my opinion so I could be wrong but I am inclined to look at it that way partially because of my personal experience...ie: the dream I had. But I never would have associated seer with those gifts either.

I am trying to catch up on some of the threads during my brief break from work.

Yes, a Seer encompass many if not all the spiritual gifts. As spirits we learned to master our spiritual bodies before coming here. We have the veil placed over us and we forget everything and are thrown into the physical to begin learning to master it. We start thinking the physical IS all there is and so stop trusting our spiritual bodies which are not as loud and demanding as the physical.

Those who are or learn to listen to and use there spiritual bodies are able to access all the capabilities which our spirit bodies have in addition to our physical bodies. We can act, see and manipulate on both sides of the veil.

We can be seers at different levels of experience, but ultimately we want learn to use the gifts as experts without effort. Anyone can be a seer just like anyone can be a prophet or revelator.

~ Seeker
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #460 is a reply to message #446] Wed, 06 June 2012 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 14:42
** How can I exercise and develop these gifts and the gift of Seership? ... What does one DO with a gift like this? It doesn't seem like I've accomplished anything really important with it so far, so what would someone with this kind of gift DO for the Lord?

Practice, use it and develop it. Meditate with purpose. Have a sincere question about anything!

I mean anything. I enjoy learning about physics and have used the gift to learn all sorts of things including what Einstein called the Unified Field Theory. He searched for it his whole life after coming up with E=MC2, but he never found it.

You can learn about politics/Leaders, secret combinations, art, math, history, health, etc.

When my father-in-law (and best friend) was diagnosed with cancer, I received was able to see what was happening in his body. I told him what he needed to do and what challenges he was going to face doing it. Everything was dead on. Unfortunately, he didn't take my advice and he died. They fought the symptoms and not the cause. So, they killed the symptoms (High white blood cell count) which were protecting him from the root cause (slowly spreading infection). When his blood cell count dropped, his body was no longer able to fight the infection and he died of sepsis.

Really, what if you could learn or see anything?!? Unlimited information. This is one of the gifts that all Gods posses.

Listen to what Joseph Knight recorded about Joseph Smith's first interaction with the urim and thummim who said:
"...he (Joseph Smith) seamed to think more of the glasses or the urim and thummim than he did of the plates for says he, I can see anything. They are Marvelous."

Seeker wrote on Tue, 29 May 2012 21:23

** So do ALL Seers have that gift or is it just one of the things that would fit into the category of Seership?

It is the same process. You can read about it in the D&C, Somewhere. Joseph was trying to teach someone else who wanted to translate some of the book of Mormon.(Can anyone find that? I don't have time to search for it right now.)

I make it sound really easy, but it actually takes work and time. You have to really study it out in your mind. Ponder it. And focus on your spirit bodies senses. I think you could make it very technical but it is very natural. We have been doing it as spirits for a very long time. Our physical bodies get in the way and need to be calmed, patient and focused. Some people have used things to distract the physical body, like automatic writing, put it to sleep (meditation), give it some mindless task to do, etc.

Learn to see without your physical eyes. Go back to experiences you have already had and review them. They will teach you tons!

Sorry if I am asking so many questions and sound so clueless - but about this - I really am! Embarrassed But I'd really like to understand these things about myself and as I said - strengthen the spiritual gifts I've been given and learn what God intends for me to do with them!

Jules

I don't mind your questions. Its nice to be on the teaching side now and again. Smile

~ Seeker
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #1815 is a reply to message #460] Wed, 02 January 2013 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
Reading this post by Mr. Seeker and others on this forum have been wonderful for me! I appreciate all who have contributed.

One thing that occurs to me, is that we are recommended to seek the gifts of the Spirit. I have wanted to experience more spiritual gifts but have drawn back from seeking them, wondering if I want them for my own glory instead of for God's. One of the gifts I have always thought would be cool was the gift of healing. In reflection, I have had that gift from time to time, and have seen it used in some miraculous ways. I guess what I wish I had was the ability to KNOW with certainty what to say each and every time.

As I think upon my desire for gifts, I am reminded that they are not MY gifts, they are God's gifts and He uses them as He sees fit. There are times when I am giving a priesthood blessing that I really do feel inspiration and guidance, but most of the time I am pretty much clueless. But I have noticed that God often ends up honoring the words I have spoken. Its as if God has decided, "You say it, I'll do it!"

This ties in with why it bothers me when I heard priesthood blessings given with such tenuous, hesitating words, especially the word "might." People 'might' get better with or without the blessing! It takes more courage and faith to say the word "WILL" but the rewards are much more noticeable. Another thing I tend to do, and I don't know why, is that I tend so speak with a louder than usual voice when I give blessings. I guess I want them to feel the confidence I have in the power of the priesthood.

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Re: The Gift of a Seer [message #1985 is a reply to message #1815] Tue, 15 January 2013 19:13 Go to previous message
rdwhitaker is currently offline  rdwhitaker
rdwhitaker wrote on Wed, 02 January 2013 14:07
Another thing I tend to do, and I don't know why, is that I tend so speak with a louder than usual voice when I give blessings. I guess I want them to feel the confidence I have in the power of the priesthood.

Ryan

I was reading a book by Denise Mendenhall with my wife last night, where she quoted a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 50:32-33, which says,

" 32 And it shall be given unto you, power over that spirit; and you shall proclaim against that spirit with a loud voice that it is not of God--

" 33 Not with railing accusation, that ye be not overcome, neither with boasting nor rejoicing, lest you be seized therewith."

The part about the loud voice jumped out at me. It ties in directly with why I tend to speak priesthood ordinances with a loud voice. I believe there are times when blessings should be positive, direct, given with power, assertive, sometimes bold. (Except in the temple.) Of course, there are times when mildness and gentleness with love unfeigned is called for!

Ryan

Don't . . . Quit . . . Trying!!
Previous Topic: Miraculous Avoidance of a Crash
Next Topic: The Power of a Smile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 18:12:46 MDT 2024