Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Discuss Elliaison Books and Articles » The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ » A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction (Discuss points related to this chapter.)
A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction [message #365] Wed, 23 May 2012 10:45 Go to next message
Elliaison_Admin
Administrator
Please use this topic to discuss thoughts, questions and comments relating the chapter, "Closing Thoughts and Remarks".
Re: A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction [message #374 is a reply to message #365] Fri, 25 May 2012 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
I understand that "Bishop" is largely to thank for this chapter and his insights. I really appreciate the list of BoM prophets who received the Second Comforter.

I am so glad that we are given ages for some of them. I can hardly believe that Mormon was only 15 years old. That really nails the question about the age qualification.

I wonder, does anyone have any insights into Joseph Smith? He clearly received the Second Comforter at some point. And most accept that he did not receive it through the first vision.

When did Joseph receive the Second Comforter?
Re: A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction [message #383 is a reply to message #374] Fri, 25 May 2012 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
D&C 76
Joseph Smith was 27 when this was recorded. One thing I find common among those in scripture obtaining the Second Comforter is they are shown in vision many things if not all things. Nephi, the Brother of Jared, John the Revelator, Daniel, Lehi, all record seeing visions of the future, and/or the past, and sometimes the after life. The content in D&C 76 fulfills all the qualifications I can find to definitively state when someone has received this blessing. It may have happened before then, but certainly it happened by this time.

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction [message #917 is a reply to message #383] Thu, 16 August 2012 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JulesGP

Dragon, can you show me where it's recorded when Joseph Smith received the Second Comforter? I haven't been able to find it.

~Jules
Re: A Major Theme of the Book of Mormon - The Second Comforter Introduction [message #925 is a reply to message #917] Sat, 18 August 2012 22:32 Go to previous message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
JulesGP,
Receiving the Second Comforter is much like receiving the Holy Ghost, at least for me. It is not usually an instant thing, where the Savior is always at your side. Thus it may be hard to pinpoint an event in which Joseph Smith was given the Second Comforter. It is evident in the number of prophecies recorded and revelations given that Jesus answered many of Joseph's prayers in person. So we see he did obtain the Second Comforter, though exactly when it began may be hard to say. The best answer I can give would be to study all the accounts of the First Vision, and see if there is some language in there which indicates Jesus will be helping and guiding Joseph through his mission in life.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Who doeth Good Among Men?
Next Topic: Who Can Make Their Calling and Election Sure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:30:41 MDT 2024