Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 43 (A Chosen Generation)
Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 43 [message #351] Sun, 13 November 2011 20:18
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
The third bullet point in this lesson is titled "Partake of the divine nature and strive to make your calling and election sure."

I was a bit amazed that the youth were completely ignorant of the phrase 'Make your calling and election sure.' I spent most of the lesson on this one topic. It is true that I sped through the first two because I wanted to spend more time on the last two. I was left with only a few minutes to cover believing in the Second Coming. One interesting scripture I found while preparing this lesson is:
Quote:
After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost (by the laying on of hands), ... then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted. When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure
- Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976]

The important part here is 'The Lord will SOON say unto him.' This is not a process which needs to take fifty years.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Gospel Doctrine New Testament Lesson 8
Next Topic: Gospel Doctrine: Book of Mormon Lesson 24
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:26:05 MDT 2024