Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Scripture Discussion » Lost Books » Book of Enoch Chapters 1-10 (Discussion of the first 10 chapters of the Book of Enoch)
Book of Enoch Chapters 1-10 [message #323] Mon, 02 May 2011 00:32 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
The first part is a very detailed reminder that all the elements of the heavens and the earth obey the will of God, but individual men do not obey the will of their creator.

As I read through these next five chapters, much of what is discussed sounds familiar. This appears to be a more detailed version of Moses 7. Yet the additional details bring up a very big question.

The book details how Azazel led a group of 200 angels to earth and they married the daughters of men. The races that were born were giants so large they quickly outstripped the ability of all mankind to feed them. In addition to marriage, Azazel revealed all the secret knowledge of heaven which the Children of Men were attempting to learn.

Chapter 8
Quote:
1 Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.
3 Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:
4 Armers taught the solution of sorcery;
5 Barkayal taught the observers of the stars, (or astrology)
6 Akibeel taught signs;
7 Tamiel taught astronomy;
8 And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon,

The chapters go on to show that this massive influx of information beyond what they were ready to handle caused much sin, and in particular fornication and lust. The end result of this was the need to wash the earth clean and decrease the lifespan of men.

Now, I find many elements of this story very interesting. Most importantly, we have here a story in which Azazel leads a group of angels in rebellion against God's will to give knowledge to men. This knowledge corrupted the purity of the earth beyond easy repair.

Through several thousand years of telling this story, it may have been simplified into the story we have today of the snake in the garden. It was women these angels married and corrupted first. It was the giving of knowledge beyond that approved by God which did more damage than the sins they taught. The end result was an end to the peaceful life which they had.

I'll be the first to admit the possibility that both stories happened separately. It would not be the first time two stories parallel each other. But the problem I'm having is the text indicates this story is the way in which Azazel fell from heaven. Prior to this event, (after the ascension of the city of Enoch) Azazel was in good graces with God. It is because of these events that all sin upon the earth is ascribed to Azazel. I am having difficulty seeing these as two events. They sound instead like very different versions of the same story. This writing is new to me, so I am eager to discuss what is written.

It seems fairly clear that Moses had access to this book in some form, because he references these events, but gives so few details that it is easy to write off as a few church followers marrying outside the covenant. The version in the Book of Enoch is so detailed and explicit that such an explanation is no longer possible. If we are to believe the Book of Enoch, angels somehow mated with human women. That brings up all kinds of other questions. The fact their offspring were hundreds of feet in height only begs more questions. I'm sure Enoch understood the answers to these questions, as he observed them. But the answers to these details are not provided in the first 10 chapters of text.

- Dragon
Re: Book of Enoch Chapters 1-10 [message #327 is a reply to message #323] Mon, 02 May 2011 21:50 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Quote:
In addition to marriage, Azazel revealed all the secret knowledge of heaven which the Children of Men were attempting to learn.

Did Azazel teach men to marry? I thought God taught that in the Garden...
Quote:
Prior to this event, (after the ascension of the city of Enoch) Azazel was in good graces with God. It is because of these events that all sin upon the earth is ascribed to Azazel.

..to clarify, the city of Enoch was taken, then Azazel was ascribed the sin, then the flood?

The garden story shows Satan cast out saying he will reign with blood and horror on the earth. Then he does and the lord ascribes to him all the sin and cleans the earth with a flood. It kind of makes sense...

Regarding the giants hundreds of feet tall... Consider these interesting links:

Rockwall Texas
Giant Skull - Rockwall TX
Wall manufactured construction
There are a lot of interesting sites that discuss this if you do the research, even newspaper reports where people had dug an opening into a vast cavern and found a giant ax, chest and a pot full of human sized skulls.

~ Seeker
Next Topic: Koran Prophecies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:21:36 MDT 2024