Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day (The Sabbath Day as a day of rest)
A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #284] Thu, 14 April 2011 09:13 Go to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
Mark 2:27 - And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

If the day was made for you and you had this day made just for you every week, what would you do with it?

What does it mean that man was not made for the day? What would it look like if the man, what things would the man do if he was for the day?
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #286 is a reply to message #284] Thu, 14 April 2011 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Answering your question necessitates consideration of the context in which this was said. There are rules on the Sabbath day against doing any labor, except that which is necessary to prepare meals, etc. Jesus and his closest disciples passed through a field of grain and, being hungry, picked some and ate it. This was legal under Jewish law on any day but the Sabbath. The Jews had created layers upon the law to reduce the chance anyone would come close to breaking the actual law. If man was made for the Sabbath day, it would be better to die than to break or bend the rules of Sabbath observance. If you forget to fill the gas tank, either you don't get to church, or you get a ride, or even walk. If you don't have enough food, you fast until Monday. If your Ox is in the mire, you leave it there until the Sabbath is over. These would be the norm if man were made for the Sabbath.

But the fact is that the Sabbath day was created to allow us to lift our eyes from our common labors and look towards heaven one day out of seven. (The only reason a weekend is two days long is due to disagreements between religions about what day we should observe the sabbath.) The Sabbath day is there to keep us focused on Christ and God. We should not be so strict in our observance as to cause illness to increase or injury to occur. We should continue to help others on the Sabbath day, even if it means breaking some of the rules. The same applies for our observance of the fast. It should not be so strictly observed as to cause injury or death. Pregnant women are exempt from fasting because they are caring for an unborn child. Diabetics often cannot fast because doing so would cause a dangerous medical condition. Again, man is not made for the fast, but the fast is made for man.

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #289 is a reply to message #286] Thu, 14 April 2011 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the lower law in relation to the sabbath?

What is the higher law in relation to the sabbath?

Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #290 is a reply to message #289] Fri, 15 April 2011 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the lower law, as given to Moses.
Exodus 20
Quote:
"8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

This lower law was added upon over centuries by even lower laws. It was these lower laws which Jesus was speaking against. As I understand it, the lower law is thou shalt not labor on the sabbath. The higher law is take a break from your lowly duties to engage in more important duties of helping others and focusing on Jesus one day in seven.

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #291 is a reply to message #290] Fri, 15 April 2011 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. - Gen. 2:2-3

Quote:
For behold, this is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. - Moses 1:39

Does God rest from his work?

Also, Should we wait to rest 1 day a week or take time to rest as needed?
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #294 is a reply to message #291] Wed, 20 April 2011 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
I don't think Gods rests from their work as a fathers and mothers. Although as a parent, I might like a day off here and there, or a date night with just the wife.

But, God answers prayers, does miracles and brings to pass the immortality and eternal life of man regardless of the day. Imagine if God took the day off? When someone prayed to get a testimony or talk to God you would get a recorded message, "My hours are 24x6. You have reached this recording because I am not working today and will return to work tomorrow. Please make your request then... Good bye and I love you."

~ Seeker
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #300 is a reply to message #294] Thu, 21 April 2011 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The labor from which God rested was the creation of the Earth. So, too should we rest from our physical labors on the Sabbath.

- Dragon
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #303 is a reply to message #300] Mon, 25 April 2011 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
You bring up an interesting point. There are 2 creation stories told in the bible.

The first: Gen.1:1-2:1 (Moses 2:1-3:1)
The second: Gen 2:4-22 (Moses 3:4-22)

The order is very different. One is a spiritual creation and one is a physical creation. The spiritual creation is the first and takes 6 days with a sabbath on the seventh. The physical creation takes 1 day with no sabbath.
Quote:
"in the day that I, the Lord God, made the heaven and the earth, And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;" - Moses 3:4-5

So God rested from his spiritual creation which took 6 days.

~ Seeker
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #651 is a reply to message #303] Sun, 15 July 2012 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How ironic, then, that we should rest from our labors to satisfy the temporal needs so we can focus more on the spiritual when, from what you are saying, God may have rested from His labors of the spiritual, to focus on the temporal.

- Dragon
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #901 is a reply to message #651] Mon, 13 August 2012 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
God did not create man in order to have someone to worship Him.

Yes, we are commanded to worship, but it is for our benefit, not His.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #911 is a reply to message #901] Wed, 15 August 2012 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc
The Sabbath is a day of rest in the same manner that we enter into the rest of the Lord in eternity after we are resurrected. Worshiping football on the Sabbath is an indicator of where your heart will be in eternity. If boating and water skiing is how you wish to spend your rest in the next life, then this is an appropriate activity for you each Sabbath day. If you prefer to rejoice in the Lord throughout eternity, then fasting and praying is a good Sabbath day activity.
Re: A Day for Man vs. Man for the the Day [message #913 is a reply to message #911] Wed, 15 August 2012 11:53 Go to previous message
The point of this thread is not to justify skipping out on Sabbath duties because they are inconvenient or something silly like that. This thread is to remind us there are limits to our Sabbath worship. We do not fast if it jeopardizes our health. We should make all possible preparations to avoid worldly activities on the Sabbath, such as buying gas, or extensive food preparations. When things happen we could not predict, we must make a judgement call, bearing in mind that the Sabbath observance is not meant as a punishment, and it is not a commandment to die for.

There are other commandments where it is better to die than break the covenants we have made. I will not list those here, as it is a matter of spiritual progress which determines which commandments are on your list.

- Dragon
Previous Topic: The Divine Brotherhood of the Universe
Next Topic: The Coming Day
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:51:59 MDT 2024