Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » Phases of the Light of Christ (Discussing various phases of the Light of Christ - Romney)
Phases of the Light of Christ [message #276] Tue, 05 April 2011 23:13 Go to next message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
President Romney gave a talk entitled, "The Light of Christ".

In it he talks about the Holy Ghost and the Second Comforter/More Sure Word of Prophecy and introduces the reality that these are 2 phases or manifestations of the light of Christ.
Quote:
My brethren, I pray, and ask you to join in that prayer, that while I speak we will enjoy the Spirit of Christ. If we don't enjoy it, we won't enjoy these remarks, because my topic is "The Light of Christ." There are three phases of the light of Christ that I want to mention.

The first one is the light which enlighteneth every man that cometh into the world;

The second phase is the gift of the Holy Ghost;

And the third is the more sure word of prophecy." - http://lds.org/ensign/1977/05/the-light-of-christ?lang=eng

Later in his talk, he said:
Quote:
Now, concerning the third phase of our theme, "the more sure word of prophecy" (D&C 131:5), which is obtained by making one's "calling and election sure" (2 Pet. 1:10), the Prophet Joseph said...

The third phase of the Light of Christ is the more sure word of prophecy which is obtained by making your calling and election made sure.

I seems that we tend to think of the Light of Christ as a simple conscience that tells us right from wrong. And although that is true, there is so much more to it.

The light of Christ is in all things and through all things and through it, Gods are able to be in all things and through all things. It is through the Light of Christ that the Holy Ghost is able to dwell in and inspire us and show us all things.

We connect to the Light of Christ in various phases, manifestations or degrees. All men have the lowest degree of the Light of Christ, others have higher degrees. It is directly connected to our glory. It is the Light of Intelligence.

Christ and God are in us and we are in them through the light of Christ.
Quote:
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." - John 17:21-23

It is through the Light of Christ that we have communion with the Church of the Firstborn and general assembly.

Just as the Holy Ghost and the More Sure Word of Prophecy are phases of the light of Christ, so too it is a phase or manifestation of the Light of Christ that we become Gods.

Therefore, understanding the Light of Christ is a very important thing in our path of progression.

What is the Light of Christ and how is it manifest?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2011 23:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Phases of the Light of Christ [message #280 is a reply to message #276] Wed, 06 April 2011 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Quote:
"There is a spirit--the Spirit of the Lord, the Spirit of Christ, the light of truth, the light of Christ--that defies description and is beyond mortal comprehension. It is in us and in all things; it is around us and around all things; it fills the earth and the heavens and the universe. It is everywhere, in all immensity, without exception; it is an indwelling, immanent, ever-present, never-absent spirit. It has neither shape nor form nor personality. It is not an entity nor a person nor a personage. It has no agency, does not act independently, and exists not to act but to be acted upon." - Bruce R. McConkie

By this description, it is nearly indistinguishable from the Force.

Quote:
"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship." - Yoda

By these descriptions, it is the power through which we can command the elements to obey us, as we obey the will of God. It is the means through which we may walk on water if necessary, or some day perhaps, even fly. The light of Christ is not often discussed because it can lead people down a path of mysticism and magic. Though it is never intended to draw a person away from Christ, but rather bring them more in harmony with Christ.

- Dragon

- Dragon
Re: Phases of the Light of Christ [message #298 is a reply to message #280] Wed, 20 April 2011 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Interesting comparison!

Bruce R. McConkie's definition sounds like the God of the Protestant Religions who is everywhere and in all things and is a spirit without body, parts or passions...

~ Seeker

[Updated on: Wed, 20 April 2011 22:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Phases of the Light of Christ [message #837 is a reply to message #298] Mon, 06 August 2012 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenh is currently offline  kenh
Seeker wrote on Wed, 20 April 2011 22:21
Interesting comparison!

Bruce R. McConkie's definition sounds like the God of the Protestant Religions who is everywhere and in all things and is a spirit without body, parts or passions...

They took the concept of the Light of Christ and ran with it. This way they dehumaized God and thus deny the physical ressurection of Jesus Christ. They say that he "only appeared to have a body of flesh and bones" but they teach that He did not in reality have one at all and neither will we according to them.
Satan lieth at he door, time to kick him to the curb! Smile
Re: Phases of the Light of Christ [message #839 is a reply to message #276] Mon, 06 August 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
Very interesting subject!

It seems it would be correct to say that there are three phases of the light of Christ as pertains to mankind.

He later goes on to say that the light of Christ permeates all things. So certainly the light of Christ which permeates a rock, is at a different phase than any of the three listed phases, and the light of Christ that permeates a dog would be different also.

C.S. Lewis once opined that as man domesticates animals, he may in some way be saving them. In that as he trains a dog, it may gain some degree of understanding of right and wrong. So in a sense man can be a blessing to the animal kingdom.

The light of Christ as explained does indeed sound like the Force, or at least the light side of the Force. In martial arts this would also be referred to as the positive aspect of Chi or Ki.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: Phases of the Light of Christ [message #3626 is a reply to message #839] Tue, 14 August 2018 22:17 Go to previous message
Elejian is currently offline  Elejian
Denryu wrote on Mon, 06 August 2012 08:12
It seems it would be correct to say that there are three phases of the light of Christ as pertains to mankind.
I agree.

Parley P. Pratt mentioned other phases: "This Holy Spirit, under the control of the Great Eloheim, is the grand moving cause of all intelligences, and by which they act. . . . In short, it is the attributes of the eternal power and Godhead. Those beings who receive of its fullness are called sons of God, because they are perfected in all its attributes and powers, and, being in communication with it, can, by its use, perform all things. Those beings who receive not a fullness, but a measure of it, can know and perform some things, but not all. This is the true light, which in some measure illuminates all men. It is, in its less refined particles, the physical light which reflects from the sun, moon, and stars, and other substances; and by reflection on the eye, makes visible the truths of the outward world. It is, also, in its higher degrees, the intellectual light of our inward and spiritual organs, by which we reason, discern, judge, compare, comprehend and remember the subjects within our reach. Its inspiration constitutes instinct in animal life, reason in man, vision in the prophets, and is continually flowing from the Godhead throughout all His creations" (Key to the Science of Theology, 38-42).
Previous Topic: Where is our focus to be?
Next Topic: What Books Should be Studied as Scripture?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:14:29 MDT 2024