Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » Sunday Preparation - Talks & Lessons » Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 28 (Alma 32-35)
Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 28 [message #688] Sun, 22 July 2012 17:16 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
Here are the notes I used going into class:

Alma 32:5 Why they were humbled
Alma 32:6 Waste no time
Alma 32:26-28 Try My Words
Alma 32:29-35 Faith vs. Knowledge
3Ne 14:18 Good seed in bad soil, vs. Bad seed in good soil

Amonhi
The ultimate goal of all the teachings of the Church is to bring us to the point of experience by which we meet Christ for ourselves as did the Brother of Jared, Joseph Smith and so many other ancient and modern saints. This is the ultimate knowledge which we seek! First by testimony and faith which after trial and error becomes sure knowledge from first hand experience.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie
"This, then, without amplifying, without saying more, is the doctrine that is involved. It is a true doctrine; it is a sound doctrine. What does it mean to us? It is not something that is beyond us; it is not outside the realm of our capabilities. The Lord would not offer baptism to a people and say, "Be baptized and you can be saved in my kingdom," unless he knew that the people had it within their power to enter into baptism and to do the things that will result in the promised salvation. And the Lord would not offer to a people celestial marriage and say to them, "Now enter this order of matrimony and keep the covenant and you will have eternal life," unless he knew that the people had the talent and the spiritual capacity and ability to gain the promised reward. And the same thing applies to making our calling and election sure. The Lord would not say to us, "Make your calling and election sure," unless he knew it was within our spiritual potential -- unless we had the capacity and ability to press forward in steadfastness and devotion until that desired eventuality occurred.
Now, I am suggesting that this is within the realm of possibility and of probability for the members of the Church today. Many in this dispensation have obtained such a status. This ought to cause us to make a firm and unshakable determination to gain the blessings and benefits of baptism; to gain the blessings and benefits of celestial marriage; and in each instance those blessings accrue on condition that we keep the covenants that we make in connection with those holy ordinances. And then we ought to press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, keeping the commandments and living by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God, so that our calling and election shall be made sure. In one manner of speaking, this is the most glorious doctrine that there is in the Church. It is the doctrine that assures people of eternal reward in the kingdom of God. By the grace and glory and goodness of a merciful Father, he has restored in this, our day, the knowledge, the doctrine, the keys, the priesthood, the powers -- everything that is needed to seal men up unto eternal life. Our objective, our goal, our aim, our determination in this life is to press forward with that steadfastness and devotion which will give us complete peace and satisfaction and joy in this life and assure us of eternal life in the world to come." - "Making Our Calling & Election Sure: - Elder Bruce R. McConkie, First Council of the Seventy, BYU Devotional, 25 March 1969

Alma 32:38 Do not neglect the tree (remain focused)
Alma 32:40-41 What is the fruit?
Alma 33:19-21 How easy is it to get the fruit?
Alma 34:12-16 Justice and Mercy united by an infinite Atonement
What is infinite?
Alma 34:18-27 Pray Always
Alma 34:28 Charity is required
Alma 34:37-38 Work out Salvation with Fear, so you can taste the Love
Alma 35 Alma and other missionaries leave, Believers cast out, Zoramites threaten Ammonites, Ammonites leave so the armies can have room to fight

As sometimes happens, the Bishop walked in, ten minutes into the lesson. Sometimes this makes me nervous, but this time, I was determined to give the lesson my way (the Spirit willing) and deal with the consequences later.

The lesson focuses on the analogy of the Word of God to a seed. I brought in a few different kinds of seeds, and luckily found some no one could recognize. The pea and the corn kernel were easily identified, but no one identified the pomegranate seed or the mesquite tree seed. As I had hoped one person in the room recognized one or the other, I was slightly disappointed, but went with it. I pointed out the reason they knew the pea and the corn kernel was because they had tasted of the fruit of those plants already, and often. But those in the room did not regularly eat pomegranates, or mesquite beans.

So, from the Zoramites' perspective, they were being asked to plant a seed they did not recognize. Thus they had to exercise faith in the seed, and a little in the person giving them the seed. The seed is not faith, but it is the Word of God. Faith is exercised by planting, watering, and otherwise nurturing the seed. The tree it grows into is the Tree of Life, and the fruit of it is the Love of God.

In chapter 34, there are 4 concepts which relate to the tree, and they are:

1. Justice vs. Mercy
  2. Pray Always (study the scriptures too)
  3. Charity is Required
  4. Fear of God vs. Love of God

The one I found most compelling is the quote:
Alma 34:37
ye should work out your salvation with fear before God,

So we talked about who fears God, and whether or not we should. The conclusion I led them to is those who have not been saved, or who have not worked out their Salvation, have cause to fear God. Once we are saved by the atonement, and our salvation has been worked out, perfect love casts out all fear. We taste of the fruit, which is the Pure Love of God, and we have no more cause to fear.

I must say, I was very pleased in how much this forum helped me prepared to give this lesson. Thanks to everyone who contributed a quote or a concept which I used. The Bishop's Counselor thanked me for a lesson where he learned something as he was making my calling as Gospel Doctrine teacher official. In other words, he wants me to teach more lessons like that. Huzzah!

- Dragon
Re: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 28 [message #734 is a reply to message #688] Fri, 27 July 2012 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu is currently offline  Denryu
That was awesome. A thought on "working out your salvation with fear before God."

I think it means to devote everything you have to it. If you knew that you were going to die tomorrow, and the only way you could save yourself was to do some amazingly difficult thing, working out your salvation in fear I think gives a good sense of how hard you would work to accomplish it.

I think the problem is that with salvation we always think we will have more time, we procrastinate the day of our repentance. We are always so busy with other Babylonian concerns. I think we are being told time is short and valuable. Even if we spend our whole lives striving with urgency for our salvation, there is always more. There is certainly no time to squander. Which, really, is not that different than what you said.

Libertas optimas rarem, nunquam servili sub nexu.
"There is no gift like Liberty, therefore never live under slavery."
Re: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 28 [message #735 is a reply to message #734] Fri, 27 July 2012 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denryu,
While I did not go into this too deeply with the class, as I studied I came to see the fear of God was not a metaphorical way of saying we should respect him. It is just that, Fear. What do the unpenitent have to fear? The wrath of God and the fiery depths of hell. What do those who are saved have to fear? Nothing. However, even those who are saved must put forth all their effort in living with their Love of God.

The point was to show the distinction between those who are motivated by the law and the fear of punishments, and those are motivated by love and by doing what is right without fear of the consequences.

Your comment indicates to me someone who Loves God and does not truly fear Him anymore, but still feels the need to make all the scriptures apply to them. Things don't work that way. I do not need to flee the oppressive rule of Pharaoh, but it is instructive to read how God delivered Israel. Some day those plagues will return. I have not been commanded to slay Laban, or any other man. But it is instructive to understand when God commands the righteous to slay the wicked, and to see how rare it is. In fact, it is so rare, an angel had to tell Nephi what to do three times before he accepted his role. Usually the wicked slay the wicked. Provided I live up to the covenants I have made, I have no need to fear God, or man. I Love God with all my heart, might, mind and strength, which is half of the source of all the laws.

- Dragon
Re: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 28 [message #3553 is a reply to message #735] Fri, 22 July 2016 07:08 Go to previous message
As I taught this class again, I found myself holding back on what I had said four years prior. My current ward does not want me to bring up controversial topics. Has anyone else received this direction from their bishopric?

- Dragon
Previous Topic: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson #23
Next Topic: Gospel Doctrine Book of Mormon Lesson 32
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:58:47 MDT 2024