Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Discuss Elliaison Books and Articles » The Atonement of Jesus Christ » The Book in General (Discuss overall thoughts, questions, feelings and comments for this book.)
The Book in General [message #3845] Fri, 12 June 2020 08:56 Go to next message
Elliaison

Did you Like the book?[ 9 votes ]
1. Yes! 9 / 100%
2. No. 0 / 0%

Please use this topic to discuss thoughts, questions, feelings and comments about your experience reading this book.
Re: The Book in General [message #3855 is a reply to message #3845] Sun, 14 June 2020 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john144 is currently offline  john144
I don't see how anybody could receive their baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, their C&E made sure, or become a member of the church of the firstborn and not have at least a basic understanding of the true nature of the Atonement as outlined in this book. If they do, the Spirit must have revealed it to them little by little, but it is great to have all these insights together in one place. And for someone just starting to follow the Doctrine of Christ, this gives them a better "map" to follow.

If we expect to have a seat at the Lord's right and left hand, we must be willing to drink out of the cup from which He drank. This book shows us just how deeply we must drink. It is no light matter to truly take upon yourself the Name of Christ, in the fullest sense of the meaning. This book shows why this is true.

It is comforting to know that even the Lord was disappointed knowing that people would twist His message and use it to enslave rather than empower, and that He understands how we feel when we try to do good, only to have it backfire.

Now, I understand many of the obscure sayings of Jesus in the New Testament, and how they all fit together. The book doesn't cover this particular episode, but in the 6th chapter of John, where the Savior talks about eating and drinking his flesh and blood, many were offended and turned away. Now we begin to understand why they were offended, and why Peter declared that Jesus spoke "the words of eternal life".

I only had trouble with the part about "loving Satan", until I considered the definition of love given in the book, and also considered how God treats Satan. I also realized how false Christianity brings with it a false definition of love, and how many of today's Christians truly fail to love their enemies, or even their friends, for that matter.

This book offers a great insight to how the Atonement connects us all with Christ, and it is an ongoing process, of which we all have a part.
Re: The Book in General [message #3889 is a reply to message #3855] Tue, 11 August 2020 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finrock is currently offline  Finrock
A good book. Thought provoking at the least eternal truth at the best. I did learn from this book. I enjoyed learning about the symbol of our bodies being seeds as taught by Paul in the New Testament. It makes sense and adds clarity to what is being said.

Even if it is false ( and I am not saying that it is) it is nonetheless well reasoned and ought not to be dismissed out of hand. There is sufficient evidence and reasoning for a man to conclude through reason alone that there is something to these ideas. In other words, someone might disagree and or not accept these words but they could not call you irrational for accepting them.

The atonement as taught in this book deserves careful consideration and prayer. The ideas are deep and meaningful. They are also practical. These are principles you can use and not just debate. I Like That! They are testable.

Towards the end, if I'm being honest, it felt a bit "culty" but I suppose that might just be me. But never a bad idea to remember we are all fallible mortals no matter how many times we have spoken with Jesus, etc. and God is no respector of persons (which the book teaches).

I intend to read it again. It's worth a second read.

-Finrock
Re: The Book in General [message #3902 is a reply to message #3845] Fri, 13 November 2020 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whitefield is currently offline  whitefield
Reading this book made me look at myself in a new light. I saw that I had always felt uncomfortable with certain things regarding the atonement, but didn't know why. I appreciated the Socratic method used with the pastor who admitted he would crucify Christ himself. I began to remember things I have done in my life which I did to save myself, and in doing that someone else suffered. I reviewed times when I did not repent until I suffered some calamity that would bring me to repentance. I went over what could have been transgression compared to sin in my lifetime, and there is both. I started to realize more compassion for transgressors and sinners.

I tried to think of how it would be possible, and not abominable, to love Satan. I think one way to do that, which is not such a strange thought after all, is that it happens automatically when we truly love God. Because if we love God, we must love our brother, our enemy, and our neighbor as ourselves.

Quote:
1 John 4:20 JST: "If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar; for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?"

In the following scripture, Jesus clearly rebuked Peter and called him Satan.

Quote:
Mark 8:35 JST: "But when he had turned about and looked upon his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan; for thou savorest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of man."

"Satan" is not simply another word for a fallen angel, but also a title. Therefore, people can also be a Satan, and when we love our enemy, we may be loving a Satan, which ability to love is what makes us perfect. Sometimes people who are close to us, and who we have tender feelings for are a Satan for one reason or another (like Peter at that moment). I think that we can not kid ourselves -- most of us have probably been a Satan at times also --any time we are an accuser of our brethren.

It seems to me at this point, that when we love God by loving our neighbor, our brother, our enemy, we also love Satan in that sense. We do not love the works and fruits of Satan - it is quite a strange compound-in-one to wrap the brain around.

Quote:
2 Nephi 2:11 "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one..."

Yes, a strange thing godly love is. God seems to be bringing to pass His strange work, His strange act. Helping us to hear and know things we have never considered.

Next, I wanted to read the book, "The Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ: Making Your Calling and Election Sure" but I do not see it in digital format, but only on amazon.com as a paperback. My problem is that I live in Brazil, and so I am not able to order a paperback from amazon in Brazil, ironic as that is. Is there a way to read the book digitally? Please help.
Re: The Book in General [message #3913 is a reply to message #3902] Wed, 28 April 2021 16:17 Go to previous message
Amonhi is currently offline  Amonhi
Love this! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

You can read the Fulness of the Gospel book online HERE

Peace,
Amonhi
Previous Topic: Broken heart and a contrite Spirit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:16:29 MDT 2024