Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Sabbath and The Lord's Day (Setting the Record Straight)
The Sabbath and The Lord's Day [message #3719] Sat, 16 November 2019 09:26 Go to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
The Sabbath never changed, the day of observance did. Sunday became "The Lord's Day" because of the Resurrection.

Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 59:
9 And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;
10 For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High;
11 Nevertheless thy avows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times;
12 But remember that on this, the Lord's day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord.
13 And on this day thou shalt do none other thing, only let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full.
Days of Observance have changed from time to time and is chronicled in the New Testament:

Quote:
John 19:
31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the across on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
[Note: Christ was not crucified on Friday, previous to the normal Jewish Sabbath, but on Wednesday, . . . otherwise it would have invalidated His own prophecy:

Quote:
Matthew 12:
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
This observation is further collaborated with the following reference, inferring that the "High Sabbath" was on Thursday:

[quote Matthew 27:
62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.[/quote]

The Jewish leaders would not visit with a Gentile on the actual Sabbath.]

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: The Sabbath and The Lord's Day [message #3720 is a reply to message #3719] Sat, 16 November 2019 09:28 Go to previous message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Previous Topic: The Pre-Mortal Council's Agenda
Next Topic: Secret Combinations:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 18:32:09 MDT 2024