Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints » LDS Deep Doctrine » The Endowment (The Spiritual Gifts )
The Endowment [message #3671] Thu, 17 October 2019 07:26 Go to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
Moroni 10: 32 and 33
32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in HIM, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and IF ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect IN Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect IN Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect IN Christ, and deny not his power, THEN are ye sanctified IN Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

Perfection IN Christ involves the proper application and reception of His gifts . . . in ENDOWMENT.

The initial gift that was received in the Pre-Mortal Endowment was the Light of Christ to all of those who accepted Father's Plan and the Savior's vicarious offering. Too, we, each, received our Patriarchal Blessing from the hands of Our Divine Parents, bequeathing unto us unique spiritual gifts. Those who wished to consecrate themselves in God's service received the Priesthood.

The Revelation of the Endowment is as follows:

The Light of Christ, (our conscience) which is a Pre-mortal Endowment, The Holy Ghost, a Mortal Endowment upon baptism by fire (justification by grace: spiritual re-birth to innocence and cleansing), The Spirit of Christ, (sanctification through the Sacrament by setting oneself apart and "remembering.") It is through this "reflection" that we initially learn about forgiveness, but later, it takes on a new role as we realize that in so doing we are inflicting the Savior with our pain. It is at this juncture that we learn how to Love HIM and seek to "raise the Sufferer up" and become more responsible - "when I was a child, I thought as a child," but now I am no longer a child. We culturally believe that the Sacrament is to wipe the slate clean every Sunday, but in reality and through abiding by the clauses of Sanctification (The Sacramental Prayers,) we learn about the true nature of LOVE and consecration. "We love Him because He first loved us." The more familiarity that we gain with His Spirit (Not the Holy Ghost,) the more we become like Him . . . we take something of Him within us at the encounter. The next endowment happens when we pierce the veil and receive not the Holy Spirit of Promise, but the Holy Spirit of Presence and we stand before Him. We will see Him when we are like Him. So, there are three stages: justification, sanctification and purification . . . and there is a great deal to say about these things . . . they are found in the scriptures and I include a brief synopsis with the following illustration:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=211&private=0

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: The Endowment [message #3672 is a reply to message #3671] Thu, 17 October 2019 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=212&private=0
  • Attachment: Oil Lamp.png
    (Size: 116.83KB, Downloaded 594 times)

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

Re: The Endowment [message #3673 is a reply to message #3672] Thu, 17 October 2019 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In referencing the Three Degrees illustration, please note the following:

1.) Recognition, 2.) Association and 3.) Emulation - in other words and the "vernacular of light": absorb and comprehend, reflect and understand and finally, radiate and become. (The Sun radiates, the Moon reflects and the Stars are absorbed in the background of space.)

The very process of creation involves the application of the following principles:

1.) Comprehension: This is a recognition of contrast involving light and darkness. Of necessity, it involves the ability to compare in order to distinguish. It is of the MIND; involving perception
2.) Understanding: This is an association and experiencing of "like things" determining if they are appealing, harmonious, and resonant or repelling, dissonant, and uncomfortable. It is of the HEART; involving feeling.
3.) Realization: This is the act of making something created "spiritually" within, manifest in the real world. It involves the sum total of the previous two and what one is: mind, heart,and soul (body and spirit,) and is properly referred to as "all" your heart, might, mind and strength.

Concepts are created in the MIND, as the framework about which to build structure. The HEART adds detail to make that which is "sterile" into something desirable. The accumulation and cooperation of the "internal" is brought to fruition by exertion in the physical world; an execution of the "plan"

The mind operates via the "illumination" of light and the heart operates via the "comfort" of light. (The Compound of One.)

By virtue of symmetry; that of associating the first thing in one list with the first thing in another list, illustrates this principle in the following way:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=213&private=0

Knowledge is gained by diligence. Intelligence is gained by obedience. Intelligence is the "proper" application of knowledge. Without "proper application," knowledge is useless, it is only theory. "To know and not to do is the same as not knowing."

Re: The Endowment [message #3674 is a reply to message #3673] Sat, 19 October 2019 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
During my interaction with a member of a group on Facebook, he mentioned something that became another "key" that was to be included in the previous illustration. I express my gratitude to this person . . . hopefully, he will come across this and realize who he is - and I am grateful to Heavenly Father in the way that He has placed "keys of knowledge" in various places so that by interaction, we can learn more truth.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=214&private=0

Hopefully, by comparison with the previous, you - the reader - will recognize what that addition is.

Re: The Endowment [message #3675 is a reply to message #3674] Sat, 19 October 2019 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The following evidence is given that there is a difference between the Holy Ghost and the Holy Spirit - they are not the same thing in some instances:

Quote:
Jacob 6:
8 Behold, will ye reject these words? Will ye reject the words of the prophets; and will ye reject all the words which have been spoken concerning Christ, after so many have spoken concerning him; and deny the good word of Christ, and the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost, and quench the Holy Spirit, and make a mock of the great plan of redemption, which hath been laid for you?
The gift of the Holy Ghost is one thing, had through the ordinance of laying on of hands. The Holy Spirit is that which is received by another ordinance called the Sacrament.

Re: The Endowment [message #3679 is a reply to message #3675] Wed, 23 October 2019 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Consider the following:

Quote:
Luke 22:
39 And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.
40 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
Who was the Angel who appeared to the Savior to strengthen Him?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie believed it to have been Michael, or Adam, the Ancient of Days and the father of the human family on this earth (Ensign, May 1985, 9).

And so the key is given. Adam is the "placeholder" for you and I, just as in the Endowment. It was in the Garden of Gethsemane that the Savior experienced "most" of the "Spiritual" pain. It is here, that we have opportunity to strengthen Him or burden Him. I would like you to consider that for a moment.

I have said in earlier portions of this post that during the Sacrament, we have an opportunity by virtue of our "childishness" to further burden and afflict the Savior with our misdeeds and utilize Him as our scapegoat. As we learn and progress, we learn about His consecrated love and suffering. In maturity, we learn to emulate His virtues and hasten to ease His suffering - especially on our count. We learn to "raise the sufferer up," not only Him but others, likewise. We become responsible.

And so, as "Adam," we can experience the "Temple" of Gethsemane - we can, either allow the Savior to take our name through as one to be succored or we can be of strength to Him in sharing His burden.

Re: The Endowment [message #3680 is a reply to message #3679] Wed, 23 October 2019 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Gethsemane"

In the empty fulness of time and space,
The Mount of Olives would be the place
Where the crushing weight of great duress,
Would Him bear down - an Olive press.
Underneath an unfathomable load
That prior centuries had foretold,
He suffered there, infinitely more
Than His body would have in store.
Physical pain can have an end,
But what's inside, a heart to rend,
Must be endured as the cost
Of emotional investments being lost.
Tears in Heaven, Parent's sight to blur,
Elicit a pain that is infinitely pure.
'Tis born of love and desire to hold
To return, restore, the peace of the "fold."

Having thrown Himself upon the ground,
What next transpired was in sound:
"Father," He said, "if it possible be,
Remove this bitter cup from me."
"Yet, if Thou wilt, I'll drink it dry,
Doing Thy will, instead of my."

Unfathomable agony arose within
As He grappled with other's sin.
Great distress produced the pain;
Bloody droplets fell like rain.
Sweat beaded upon His wrinkled brow,
Infinite time converged on "NOW."
Encompassing every pain and thought,
Of "creation's" misery that's wrought.
He endured ere long, there, alone
Distanced only, a throw of a stone.

Re: The Endowment [message #3688 is a reply to message #3680] Sat, 02 November 2019 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
"If a man gets a fulness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord. ...
"All men who become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ will have to receive the fulness of the ordinances of his kingdom; and those who will not receive all the ordinances will come short of the fulness of that glory."
(History of the Church, 5:424; spelling modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on June 11, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.)
Quote:
"... Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed. All must be saved on the same principles.
(History of the Church, 5:42325, 427; paragraph divisions altered; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on June 11, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards.)
Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 1:
14 And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people;
15 For they have strayed from mine ordinances, and have broken mine everlasting covenant;
16 They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.
Quote:
The power, glory, and blessings of the priesthood could not continue with those who received ordination only as their righteousness continued, for Cain also being authorized to offer sacrifice but not offering it in righteousness, therefore he was cursed. It signifies then, that the ordinances must be kept in the very way God has appointed, otherwise their priesthood will prove a cursing instead of a blessing. (Joseph Smith, WOJS)
Quote:
5.The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.
6.Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.
(Isaiah 24:5-6)
Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 130:
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated--
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.
The ordinances were established before the foundation of the world and, as such, constituted the "symbolism" that would be utilized to convey to God, Angels and mankind, that compliance was had, whereby the predicated blessings could be given. The "covenant path" is immutable and qualifies as "absolute" when the covenants and ordinances do not change.

The "History" of the Endowment has been chronicled by the following Website:

http://www.ldsendowment.org/

Pay particular attention to the "Timeline."

The endowment originated through revelation to Joseph Smith in 1842, with further revelation and restoration occurring in 1843.

In 1845, Brigham Young performs the endowment in the unfinished Nauvoo Temple subsequent to the Exodus. There is no written "text" or record to follow until it is written down in 1877. By this time, it is clear that there have been additions - including what is called the "Oath of Vengeance," wherein an oath is given to avenge the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Later, this very "Oath of Vengeance" would be the impetus for the Mountain Meadow's Massacre. Further additions to the endowment were meant to invoke fear and control over those who would participate - hence the "blood oath" penalties that were patterned after the oaths forbidden in the Book of Mormon in Ether 8. The Book of Mormon expressly tells us that there will be no more "blood atonement."

Quote:
Alma 34:
13 Therefore, it is expedient that there should be a great and last sacrifice, and then shall there be, or it is expedient there should be, a stop to the shedding of blood; then shall the law of Moses be fulfilled; yea, it shall be all fulfilled, every jot and tittle, and none shall have passed away.
14 And behold, this is the whole meaning of the law, every whit pointing to that great and last sacrifice; and that great and last sacrifice will be the Son of God, yea, infinite and eternal.
15 And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance.
16 And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety, while he that exercises no faith unto repentance is exposed to the whole law of the demands of justice; therefore only unto him that has faith unto repentance is brought about the great and eternal plan of redemption.
Further, because the "great and last sacrifice" is infinite and eternal - the need for more is finished.

Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 76:
22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
23 For we saw him, even on the bright hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father--
24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.
25 And this we saw also, and bear record, that an angel of God who was in authority in the presence of God, who rebelled against the Only Begotten Son whom the Father loved and who was in the bosom of the Father, was thrust down from the presence of God and the Son,
26 And was called Perdition, for the heavens wept over him--he was Lucifer, a son of the morning.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=217&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3689 is a reply to message #3671] Sat, 02 November 2019 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=218&private=0

Our "Telestial" depiction of JUSTICE is given as shown: a woman wearing a blind, holding a set of scales in her hand . . . and usually a sword in the other - denoting the potential execution of the penalty; punishment. The reason that "JUSTICE" is depicted as a woman, is because the basis of "measuring" require wisdom or "sophia" which is feminine. The blind depicts impartiality of sight, for judgement is to be done without respect of persons - be they well clothed or impoverished, familiar or foreign.

The purpose for this particular posting and ones that will be following have to do with the three progressive states that lead to perfection: justification, sanctification and purification. In order to be perfect; whole and complete, one must be innocent from sin and infraction of God's Laws, holy and set apart from Babylon; the world, by consecrating themselves to associate with Heaven and, finally, pure; free of dross and contamination as having gone through the Refiner's fire and purged of darkness. In particular, this treatise is on "justification" with many of its implications in our "carnal," fallen world.

Isn't it interesting that in the generation of "excuses," man is inclined to automatically "justify" themselves? Isn't it interesting that in this world, many seek for "validation?" It would seem that such is "hardwired" into the very fiber of our being. Inherently we know that we are accountable to someone. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone realized who that Someone really was? Being "justified" is an integral part of finding joy and happiness in life. We are told in scripture that "wickedness was never happiness" and so, it only follows . . . .

The type of scale that is being used is a balance scale. It infers that some "standard" be employed on one side in comparison with that which is being "weighed" and measured on the other. Such comparisons are done in the reference frame of "gravity." It would be pointless to use such a device in the vacuum of space; extant of an absolute. So, in proceeding, that which is to be measured is not external to the object in question, but internal. The process is undertaken in the external reference frame of "natural" law to be witnessed by others so that certain conditions, have, in fact, been met. (The mere fact that "weighing" and "comparing" is had, in the first place, infers audience; witnesses.) The process of Justice, must, certainly, be Just, itself as judged by others. The very notion implies that Laws are known and established before the foundation of such endeavors.

There are three ways to be Justified:

1.) Commit no infraction of the Law being; therefore, on the level and not accountable for any infraction - this is innocence.
2.) Pay the prescribed penalty of the Law; therefore, restoring the weight of the balance in a quid pro quo - eye for an eye fashion.
3.) Allow a "vicarious" person who meets criteria number 1 in being innocent to pay the prescribed penalty of the Law provided that it is acceptable to the "Court" and Law Giver. In our case, this is Jesus the Christ, who qualifies on all counts. This condition allows the penalty to be paid, but subjects us to the conditions made upon us by the one paying the debt or demands of Justice. In the Gospel sense, this is called "Probation." The "immediate" debt to the Law is met; however, there is a contingency based upon our future behavior. This is known as Justification by Grace or Justification by Faith. More will be forthcoming.

Re: The Endowment [message #3693 is a reply to message #3689] Sun, 03 November 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was difficult remaining seated in the Church pew, today, because I wanted to share my testimony; however, it was made apparent to me that I ought not - therefore, hopefully, I can share with you what transpired.

Many got up and bore testimony that they knew that God loves them. "I know that Jesus loves me . . . ," was spoken many times. At last, the Elder's Quorum President got up and mentioned how he counsels people and was learning what the Atonement meant in his personal life and how it can change a person. Then he said the key and when I heard it, I knew that his "remembrance" of the Savior was going to transition from Calgary - the place of the "Skull" to The Garden of Gethsemane - the place of the "Spirit." He said, "I love my Savior."

In bringing our sins to the foot of the Cross and allowing the Savior to rescue us with His "love," we are, yet, in our infancy - loving Him because He loves us. Upon receiving and being confident of His love for us by being there for us, His Spirit coupled with our other endowments, teaches us a genuine concern for His welfare. When we finish weeping for ourselves and our own welfare; when we realize how much He loves us, in maturity, our focus will change to Him.

The utterance from the Cross at Golgotha:

Quote:
Luke 23:
28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
The utterance from the Garden of Gethsemane:

Quote:
John 20:
15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
An exchange takes place in the "sanctification" moments of remembrance with the focus changing from ourselves to Him; from the Cross to the Garden.

It is in this way . . . the Last becoming the First . . . the Omega becoming the "Alpha" . . . that proper "order" is attained and we are in alignment with His will:

Quote:
John 14:
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=222&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3694 is a reply to message #3693] Mon, 04 November 2019 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the previous posting, I, mistakenly stated the following:

The utterance from the Cross at Golgotha:

Quote:

Luke 23:
28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.

This is incorrect, it was on the way to Golgotha that this utterance was made. I would have changed it had there been an edit feature. To tie it in to the original point; however, I am going to state the following:

On the way to Golgotha and viewing God's infinite love for you, you will weep for yourselves and not for Him.

Re: The Endowment [message #3695 is a reply to message #3694] Mon, 04 November 2019 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"On the way to Golgotha and viewing God's infinite love for you, you will weep for yourselves and not for Him."

On the way to Gethsemane and viewing YOUR infinite love for God, you will weep for Him and not for yourself.

Re: The Endowment [message #3696 is a reply to message #3695] Wed, 06 November 2019 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now, coming "full circle" and tying the "loop," as it where:

Quote:
John 14:
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
He who LOVES the Savior will keep the commandments for HIM and not just for Themselves. The focus will change and infinite power will be gained by casting one's gaze, not upon themselves, but upon God.

Another point that ought to be made is given in verse 18, above. "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."

In the Garden, at a distance of about a "stone's throw" away, the Savior fell comfortless and in duress. The Chief Apostles were asleep.

Quote:
Luke 22:
39 And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.
40 And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
And, today, there are many who sleep, who do not understand. Yet, in this "singularity" of scripture, it is pointed out that an angel appeared unto Him, strengthening Him; giving Him comfort. As a disciple of Jesus Christ, I would extend to you an invitation to pierce the veil with your thoughts and visit the Temple of Gethsemane, casting your gaze upon this lonely scene and extend your "spiritual" comfort to Him who physically received none. Please don't leave Him, the Greatest of All, comfortless in His time of despair.

I have said, earlier, that physical pain passes; however, "spiritual" pain does not, necessarily. There is a longing, still, for those who are asleep to awaken. The Heaven's still weep from time to time. Hopefully, it isn't for you.

Justification is done by recognition. It is done at the foot of the cross. We are told that every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is the Christ; the Holy, Anointed One and that His judgments are just. This is not by compulsion. It happens when an intelligence recognizes that a great injustice has been done. It happens when the "light" dawns and the uttermost farthing has been paid. It is the prerequisite for mortality to put on immortality; resurrection. It is at this point that innocence is renewed.

The subsequent process is that of Sanctification. It belongs to the Terrestrial realm and happens when one recognizes Holiness and Goodness and is drawn to it with a yearning of "association." It happens when one "sets themselves apart" from "worldly things" and Babylon. It is in this "step-wise process:" one step closer to one another, that progression is realized. You clothe yourself "spiritually" by taking initiative and God responds by clothing you "spiritually" by adding "endowments, tender mercies, and LIGHT." Partaking of the Sacrament is a primary source of this "sanctification" process, of which more shall be shared at another time.

Re: The Endowment [message #3697 is a reply to message #3696] Wed, 06 November 2019 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(I made another mistake in the preceding, it should have been "as it were" and not "as it where" in the beginning.)

The following is an account of a dream/visit to the Garden by Orson Whitney that he had about 1876:

Quote:
"I thought I was in the garden of Gethsemane, a witness of the Savior's agony. I seemed to be standing behind a tree in the foreground of the picture, from which point I could see without being seen. The Savior, with the Apostles Peter, James and John, entered the garden through a little wicket gate at my right, where he stationed them in a group, telling them to pray. He then passed over to my left, but still in front of me, where he knelt and prayed also. His face, which was towards me, streamed with tears, as he besought the Father to let the cup pass, and added, 'not my will but thine be done.' Having finished his prayer, he arose and crossed to where the Apostles were kneeling fast asleep. He shook them gently, they awoke and he reproved them for their apathy. Again he bade them pray, and again crossed to his place and prayed, returning as before to find them sleeping. This happened three times, until I was perfectly familiar with his face, form and movements. He was much taller than ordinary men, and though meek, far more dignified than any being I had ever beheld; and he wore a look of ineffable tenderness and compassion, even while reproving His disciples. My heart went out to him as never before to anybody or to anything; I loved him with all my soul. I wept at seeing him weep, and felt for him the deepest sympathy.

"Then of a sudden the circumstances changed, though the scene remained the same. Instead of before the crucifixion, it was after. The Savior and the three Apostles, whom he had beckoned to him, now stood in a group at the left, and were about to take their departure, ascending into heaven. I could endure it no longer, but rushed out from behind the tree, fell at his feet, clasped him around the knees and begged him to take me also. With a look of infinite tenderness, as of a father or an elder brother, he stooped, lifted me up and embraced me, saying as he did so in the kindest and gentlest manner possible, while slowly shaking his head and sweetly smiling, 'No, my son, these can go with me; for they have finished their work; but you must stay and finish yours!' Still I clung to him, and the contact was so real that I felt the warmth of his bosom as I rested upon it. Gazing up into his face, I once more besought him, 'Well, promise me that I will come to you at the last.' Again he smiled sweetly, and there was a look as if he would have gladly granted my request had it been wise to do so. He then said, 'That will depend entirely upon yourself.' I awoke with a sob, and it was morning. This dream made a wonderful impression upon me, paving the way to my thorough conversion, which soon followed. Among the things it taught me was not to sleep at my post, and to regard first the duties of my mission, and not allow anything to interfere with them." (Source: Jensen, Andrew, "Latter-Day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia: A Compilation of Biographical Sketches of Prominent Men and Women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints," Oct 2005)

Re: The Endowment [message #3698 is a reply to message #3697] Thu, 07 November 2019 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 20:
30 And we know that justification through the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is just and true;
31 And we know also, that sanctification through the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is just and true, to all those who love and serve God with all their mights, minds, and strength.
To what end, Sanctification?

In order to understand what something is "set apart" for, it is important to review the specified words that are used to do so. Of course we are referencing the blessing of the emblems of the Sacrament. I am sure that you have heard these "set" prayers many times and have them committed to memory, but you may not really realize or comprehend what is being said. We will review.

The Blessing of the Bread:

Quote:
77 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.
The bread represents the "flesh" and this emblem is blessed and sanctified "conditionally" depending upon the agency of that individual who partakes of it. Sanctification of this emblem is conditioned upon remembering Christ's broken body and having a "willingness" to take upon oneself the name of Christ and to keep his commandments with the conditional intent of receiving His Spirit to always be present.

The Blessing of the Wine (Water:)

Quote:
79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine (water) to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.
The water (wine) represents the "blood" and this emblem is blessed and sanctified "conditionally" depending upon the agency of the individual who partakes of it. Sanctification of this emblem is conditioned upon remembering Christ's shed blood and desiring to witness to the Father that you do, in fact, always remember Christ's sacrifice with the conditional intent of receiving His Spirit's constant companionship.

True to the nature of covenants, there are conditions . . . if you do this, then this will happen. It follows that if you don't, then it won't. How often in our Sacrament meetings do we witness "real intent" in our charge of "remembering the Savior?" Well, if we don't do our part, we have no claim to the power of Sanctification by Grace and all is for naught; not; knot.

Without the "flesh and blood" emblems of Christ, taken within properly with real intent, how can we ever claim to be of His flesh and blood? There is no power of adoption if we do not partake or if we do not comply with the conditions of Sanctification. His "Spiritual" companionship will not occur and we will not be mentored in LOVE. If we will clothe ourselves in sanctification, we will be clothed and sanctified.

Stated again in another vernacular, if we will set ourselves apart for a Holy purpose, God will set us apart and make us Holy.

The next topic will be "Purification," what it means and how it is obtained.

Re: The Endowment [message #3699 is a reply to message #3698] Thu, 07 November 2019 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Galatians 3:
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Re: The Endowment [message #3700 is a reply to message #3699] Thu, 07 November 2019 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We shall now begin to speak about "Purification." It has to do with "exposure" to the Endowments: The Light of Christ, The Holy Ghost, and the Spirit of Christ; it has to do with "associations" that bring about "emulations."

Quote:
The Holy Ghost has no other effect than pure intelligence. It is more powerful in expanding the mind, enlightening the understanding, and storing the intellect with present knowledge, of a man who is of the literal seed of Abraham, than one that is a Gentile, though it may not have half as much visible effect upon the body; for as the Holy Ghost falls upon one of the literal seed of Abraham, it is calm and serene; and his whole soul and body are only exercised by the pure spirit of intelligence; while the effect of the Holy Ghost upon a Gentile, is to purge out the old blood, and make him actually of the seed of Abraham. That man that has none of the blood of Abraham (naturally) must have a new creation by the Holy Ghost. In such a case, there may be more of a powerful effect upon the body, and visible to the eye, than upon an Israelite, while the Israelite at first might be far before the Gentile in pure intelligence.
Change in awareness; consciousness is an internal process. It doesn't happen from the "outside ==> in," but from the "inside ==> out." It is for this reason that the "Outward," Mosaic Law was a lesser covenant. Christ came and would have us "internalize" those Laws. Perfection, being defined outwardly by example and internalized by the Light of Christ, provides the "reference" for the "balancing of the scales" of Justification. When we are "internally" justified, we are not subject to the chaos of accusation; guilt and/or the chaos of condemnation; shame - the first being of the mind (thoughts) and the second being of the heart (emotions.) By learning that "Judgment is meant for identification and not condemnation," we can uncouple the subjective damage of misdirected emotion and focus on the objective rather than concealment. Enlightenment allows us to step forward and be responsible, ready to learn how to overcome by FAITH.

Quote:

Titus 1:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
Quote:
Romans 14:
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Internal Things)
18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
20 For meat (As opposed to "Milk" in our instance) destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
And so what is to be learned? The Kingdom of God has to be established within a person before it can be established "outside." Zion, as "purity of heart" has to be established within a person before it can be established "outside." It has everything to do with increased exposure to the "Light" and to the "Spirit" of Christ for enlightenment and nurturing. It has everything to do with exposure to the Holy Ghost and "pure knowledge and intelligence." It has everything to do with the eventuality of "finding" and "going" to the Source of such, rather than downstream where the pure waters of Truth from the Fountain may be muddied.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=223&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3701 is a reply to message #3700] Fri, 08 November 2019 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
2 Nephi 9:
41 O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold, the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel; and he employeth no servant there; and there is none other way save it be by the gate; for he cannot be deceived, for the Lord God is his name.

Re: The Endowment [message #3708 is a reply to message #3701] Sat, 09 November 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justification, Sanctification and Purification - innocence, holiness and purity - are processes that must be maintained. King Benjamin spoke as to how to always retain a remission of your sins . . . it is included:

Quote:
Mosiah 4:
1 And now, it came to pass that when king Benjamin had made an end of speaking the words which had been delivered unto him by the angel of the Lord, that he cast his eyes round about on the multitude, and behold they had fallen to the earth, for the fear of the Lord had come upon them.
2 And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men.
3 And it came to pass that after they had spoken these words the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy, having received a remission of their sins, and having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ who should come, according to the words which king Benjamin had spoken unto them.
4 And king Benjamin again opened his mouth and began to speak unto them, saying: My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people, I would again call your attention, that ye may hear and understand the remainder of my words which I shall speak unto you.
5 For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness, and your worthless and fallen state--
6 I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body--
7 I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the afall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world.
8 And this is the means whereby salvation cometh. And there is none other salvation save this which hath been spoken of; neither are there any conditions whereby man can be saved except the conditions which I have told you.
9 Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
10 And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.
11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.
13 And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably, and to render to every man according to that which is his due.
14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the devil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.
15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.
16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just--
18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
19 For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?
20 And behold, even at this time, ye have been calling on his name, and begging for a remission of your sins. And has he suffered that ye have begged in vain? Nay; he has poured out his Spirit upon you, and has caused that your hearts should be filled with joy, and has caused that your mouths should be stopped that ye could not find utterance, so exceedingly great was your joy.
21 And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.
22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.
23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.
24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give.
25 And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received.
26 And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you--that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may walk guiltless before God--I would that ye should impart of your substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants.
27 And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.
28 And I would that ye should remember, that whosoever among you borroweth of his neighbor should return the thing that he borroweth, according as he doth agree, or else thou shalt commit sin; and perhaps thou shalt cause thy neighbor to commit sin also.
29 And finally, I cannot tell you all the things whereby ye may commit sin; for there are divers ways and means, even so many that I cannot number them.
30 But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=225&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3709 is a reply to message #3708] Sat, 09 November 2019 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=226&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3710 is a reply to message #3709] Sun, 10 November 2019 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Enlightenment from the Light of Christ and Comforting from the Spirit of Christ . . . for thought (mind) and feeling (heart) is described thusly:

The intervention of the Light of Christ,(Conscience) is as an Elias within:

Quote:
Mark 1:
2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Quote:
Doctrine and Covenants 88:
66 Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness--in the wilderness, because you cannot see him--my voice, because my voice is Spirit; my Spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound.
67 And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.
68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will.
As the party of the Bridegroom approaches, the "light" will become visible, first, in the darkness. It will be followed by a Spirit of anticipation, "The Spirit of Promise." At last, the Host will arrive in the realization of His very Presence.

Quote:
James 3:
17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
It behooves us to become acquainted with the "Fountain of All Righteousness," that seeds can grow to fruition and we can rejoice in their fruits, together. So, to begin, some "unraveling" has to occur to the "linearity" of thought. Let it; therefore, become "dimensional."

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=227&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3711 is a reply to message #3710] Sun, 10 November 2019 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the thread, "The Pre-Mortal Council in Heaven's Agenda," the Pre-Mortal Endowments were initially discussed. I would recommend a review of that thread prior to proceeding in order to gain understanding.

We are going to identify the "Fountain of All Righteousness" from a very familiar scripture:

Quote:
Ether 12:
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
28 Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that faith, hope and charity bringeth unto me--the fountain of all righteousness.
An acceptable offering before the Lord of a "broken heart" and "contrite spirit" is born out of the realization, as King Benjamin taught, of our own nothingness before God. It is for this reason that we encounter, from time to time, in scripture things like the following:

Quote:
2 Nephi 4:
17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
Another way of saying "having trust" is "having FAITH."

Quote:
Romans 7:
14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that ado it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
We have every reason to retain a remission of our sins with the sacrifice of a broken heart and a contrite spirit for our own nothingness before the Almighty. So lets examine the merits of the "Fountain of All Righteousness."

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=228&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3712 is a reply to message #3711] Sun, 10 November 2019 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An examination of this "continual, upward spiral" will reveal that it is a never-ending "round." By utilizing the proper perspective and motivations to move forward; improve and progress - we become like God and emulate Him in His course. We know that we have perfected a principle when it can be shared in "consecrated empathy" and "service;" (LOVE/CHARITY) with another. We have perfected that thing. Then it is on to the next, according to God's wisdom. It should be noted that it is foolish to compare our progression with someone else because we aren't given the same "sequence, gifts, or circumstances." Our progression is "custom tailored" to who we are and what our "wholeness and completion" entails. It is as if we are given a puzzle of the very same picture; however, the pieces are not cut the same; they aren't interchangeable and we have to do it for ourselves. The "combination" and the "sequence," (spatial and temporal dimensions) are different.

Please note that in the following graphic, Intellectual refers to MIND and Emotional refers to HEART - thought and feeling. It shows the comparison of opposites. It is my hope that you will benefit from the realization of introspection, where you are and what needs attention.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=229&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3713 is a reply to message #3712] Sun, 10 November 2019 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=230&private=0

Re: The Endowment [message #3717 is a reply to message #3713] Thu, 14 November 2019 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quote:
Jacob 5:
72 And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them; and they did obey the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard in all things.

73 And there began to be the natural fruit again in the vineyard; and the natural branches began to grow and thrive exceedingly; and the wild branches began to be plucked off and to be cast away; and they did keep the root and the top thereof equal, according to the strength thereof.

74 And thus they labored, with all diligence, according to the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard, even until the bad had been cast away out of the vineyard, and the Lord had preserved unto himself that the trees had become again the natural fruit; and they became like unto one body; and the fruits were equal; and the Lord of the vineyard had preserved unto himself the natural fruit, which was most precious unto him from the beginning.

75 And it came to pass that when the Lord of the vineyard saw that his fruit was good, and that his vineyard was no more corrupt, he called up his servants, and said unto them: Behold, for this last time have we nourished my vineyard; and thou beholdest that I have done according to my will; and I have preserved the natural fruit, that it is good, even like as it was in the beginning. And blessed art thou; for because ye have been diligent in laboring with me in my vineyard, and have kept my commandments, and have brought unto me again the natural fruit, that my vineyard is no more corrupted, and the bad is cast away, behold ye shall have joy with me because of the fruit of my vineyard.

Previous Topic: Prophecy by Joseph Smith Jr.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:40:32 MDT 2024