Elliaison.org - Forum
Elliaison.org forum is a free discussion group focused on the persuit of truth and spiritual knowledge from every source.

Home » Helping Others » Get Involved in a Good Cause » The Book I Am Compelled to Write (Help needed on a book about what is to come.)
The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1065] Thu, 06 September 2012 17:45 Go to next message
Dragon is currently offline  Dragon
For years now, I have been preparing to write a book about what it might be like to live through the end time prophecies. I truly believe I have finally been given the last major piece I need to begin writing in earnest. I need to show the works of the 144,000 during World War 3 time period. As such, I have a passage from the book I am writing. I would like your critique upon it, focused on what should or should not have been said.
Conflict Rising
Chapter Four
Jon's work hadn't gotten easier over the past couple weeks. He was still attempting to maintain the project schedule with one out of every five positions unfilled. Recruiting was rampant, but hiring new talent took time, as did the training for the company, followed by orientation on the project. As it was, everyone on the job was working sixty hours per week or more, and some blamed him personally. As if he should have predicted how presidential action would affect his project.
Despite all these extra hours, Elizabeth refused to let him work on Sundays. As such, Jon sat in Gospel Doctrine half listening as the teacher recounted the story of the birth of Christ. He thought how ironic it was the lesson wasn't given one month prior. A phrase brought Jon out of his half daze.
The teacher said, "Those who saw Jesus in the flesh, even from a young age, were not all struck with conviction he was the Christ. But those who saw him, and knew him for who he truly was, obtained a physical witness of Christ. Unfortunately, this physical witness is reserved only for Apostles in our day."
The phrase 'physical witness of Christ' had come up in Jon's personal study. It was a concept he was only beginning to understand.
"Excuse me." A man who Jon hadn't seen in church before raised his hand.
"Yes, Brother..."
"Brother Loucks. I'm sorry to interrupt, but I can personally testify the physical witness of Jesus Christ is not reserved only for the Apostles of our day."
"Well," the teacher said, "There is the occasional elderly couple who receives their calling and election made sure, but for most of us..."
"No," Brother Loucks cut in. "It is not reserved only for the elderly. The Book of Revelation clearly states 144,000 will have this witness, signified by the seal in their forehead, and will help a numberless host also obtain this same seal. From the numbers involved, I must say it is not limited to Apostles and old men."
Jon's jaw dropped, as did the jaw of half the people in the room.
The teacher tried to collect himself, and went on the offensive. "Are you saying you have personally had your calling and election made sure?"
"Yes."
"I don't believe you."
Brother Loucks sat there, waiting for the teacher to continue.
"Well, in every age there are those who deceive themselves into being more righteous than they actually are. In the days of Jesus..." The rest of the lesson passed without incident or giving Jon any additional insight.
When the lesson ended, Jon approached the visiting member, and found three others had the same idea. Brother Franks looked angry, while Brother Garrison and Brother Chubb looked interested in hearing more.
Brother Loucks smiled, and before any of us could speak, he said, "Brothers, I would be happy to discuss things further, but this is not the time. Perhaps after church you can each gather your families and we can all meet in one of the empty rooms?"
"How dare you..." Brother Franks began.
"Brother, I understand your concerns, and I will hear them. But let's not distract the others from the spirit of worship which brings them here today. Okay?"
Brother Franks looked around and saw women filing into the room for Relief Society. He walked off without saying another word.

After church, Elizabeth was ready to head for the van with the three kids, but I stopped her. "Honey, I know the kids are hungry, and you're tired. But I need to hear more from this Brother Loucks."
"Well, make it quick."
"He asked for the whole family to come and speak with him."
"The whole family? Who is this guy?"
"He's a visitor. There's something about him I can't quite describe. Please, five minutes is all I'm asking for."
"Okay."
We filed down the hall with three kids in tow until I spotted Brother Loucks. He pointed us into an empty classroom where we found the Franks and the Garrisons. Each couple had two kids of their own. Brother Franks looked like he'd calmed down somewhat.
A minute later Brother Loucks entered the room. "Looks like Brother Chubb couldn't stay today." He took a seat. "Now, Brother Franks, is it? Why don't we start with your concerns."
"Well, Brother, I appreciate you stopping me from making a spectacle of myself in front of the sisters. But I still feel strongly that you cannot claim to have your calling and election made sure."
"What is that? What does it mean?" Sister Garrison asked.
"An excellent question," Brother Loucks said. "Why don't we let Brother Franks answer that."
"Having your Calling and Election Made Sure is when you receive a phone call from a member of the First Presidency to meet you at the temple. An ordinance is performed called the Second Anointing, which seals the promises made in the Initiatory. It is only given to elderly couples and Apostles."
"You are half correct, Brother." Brother Loucks looked now at the group. "The Second Anointing is indeed as you described. However, it is not the only means by which one may have their Calling and Election Made Sure."
Somehow the kids were playing nicely in one corner. The number of toys brought between the three young families was enough for the seven children to keep them happy for a little while.
"But you still haven't answered the question," Elizabeth said. "What does it mean to receive your Calling and Election? What does it mean on a spiritual level, religious level, or physical level."
"I will gladly clarify. Receiving the Calling and Election Made Sure is no less and no more than hearing the voice of God tell you your name is in the book of life, and that all the covenants entered into are considered fulfilled, thus ensuring the blessings from God they promise."
"You've heard the voice of God?" Jon asked.
Brother Loucks nodded.
"I don't believe you," Brother Franks said. "I've heard enough." He stood up to leave.
"But I haven't," Sister Franks said. "I want to hear more. No one ever talks about this stuff."
"Because we're not supposed to," Brother Franks said. "Everyone knows those who receive their Calling and Election are sworn not to discuss it. That alone tells me it hasn't happened to this guy."
"Once more, you are speaking of the Second Anointing." Brother Loucks said. "I am not."
"Please, tell us what you've experienced." Sister Garrison stared at him as he spoke.
He proceeded to share his experiences of only a few years ago, meeting others who also claimed to have received their Calling and Election. He told of a year or more of study and prayer which led to a vision. That was when he knew he'd received his Calling and Election. It was clear in the way he told it many of the details were left out. Yet the message came through loud and clear.
When he'd finished the story, he handed each of us a business card. He was based out of Utah. "I've said all the Spirit will allow me to say today. If you have questions, you can contact me, and I'll do my best to answer them. Have a good day." He left the room without giving anyone another chance to talk.
Brother Franks tossed the card in the trash and walked out.

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1140 is a reply to message #1065] Thu, 20 September 2012 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zephyr is currently offline  zephyr
So, when do we get to read the next chapter?
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1146 is a reply to message #1140] Fri, 21 September 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zephyr,
As is usual with works the Lord asks of us, opposition has slowed the writing. However, please note that was chapter 4. Also, I was looking for feedback, which was not yet received.

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1539 is a reply to message #1065] Sat, 08 December 2012 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Called to Serve is currently offline  Called to Serve
What kind of book is it? Is this story true or a real life type of fiction? I didn't feel there was anything missing from it, nor can I think of anything I would add. It's an interesting story and way to learn about having your calling and election made sure.
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1555 is a reply to message #1539] Sun, 09 December 2012 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iWitness
This is great, Dragon! It's nice to know that the closer Christ is to coming, the more frequently we'll hear things about C&E's made sure. Whether these things are written in books, taught by strangers, church leaders and so on and so forth. Your book will be appreciated. People need to understand that there are leaders in the church who can be fallible and teach incorrect doctrines at times, just as Bro. Franks is made out to do. I've known a few Bro. Franks...which is why I now attend Gospel Principles instead or Gospel Doctrine class(:

-iWitness
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1574 is a reply to message #1555] Tue, 11 December 2012 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The book I am working on is Speculative Fiction. A narrower genre may be called 2nd Coming Fiction. It is intended to be a novel using the prophecies of the future to define the plot. I am working on the novel once again, and will be happy to share the chapters as they are written with anyone willing to critique them. Simply send me a PM with your email address.

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1890 is a reply to message #1065] Wed, 09 January 2013 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
The human mind is amazing. I have had some interesting experiences; revelations; realizations as I have read and re-read your story. Days ago, when I read your story, I was able to glide right through it with ease, comprehension, and visualization. Today, as I evaluated your request to scrutinize it closely, I started looking at the words and sentence structures, etc. . . . in other words, I started looking at the mechanics and the "letter" of the "law." What I learned was the following:

The name of the chapter is "Conflict Rising." The paradox I realized was that you were requesting a "critique" of your work. I learned that "critique" is a HOT BUTTON liable to cause a conflict to rise . . . (Conflict Rising.) Into my mind came the thought, "Let man be his own judge and critic." Further, emphasis was given, "If you look too closely, you can see the flaws in every man." (I believe that personal expression, such as writing and speaking is a reflection of who we are.) I realized that I had no right to edit or critique, because in so doing I was "making something mine, when it belongs to someone else." It was much more enjoyable to comprehend the "intent" rather than the "means." When things were evaluated at the "letter" or "mechanical" level, I lost the ease, comprehension, and visualization that was so enjoyable, before. The letter of the law in essence killed my enjoyment, whereas the spirit or intent set me free.

I think and feel, Dragon, that it is a great story. It was gratifying to me that the visitor respected the teacher.

"I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies."

The Little Prince by St. Exupery
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #1970 is a reply to message #1065] Tue, 15 January 2013 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert,
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the section I shared. I know not everyone can give a proper critique, and not everyone can receive them properly. I have been writing long enough to know any critique is only a suggestion. If I like the suggestion, I will improve my book because of it. Others I reject because it's not my style, or because I simply disagree the change would be an improvement. Thank you for your words, and I hope I can get you a copy of the full book shortly after it is completed.

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #2222 is a reply to message #1970] Thu, 21 February 2013 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John is currently offline  John
Dragon,

You definitely drew my attention to the concern brother Frank had. My suggestion is to have a footnote or a brief explanation (or reminder) that focuses on the point he was trying to make, for clarification. Ordinances are very important and there will be readers who would sympathize with bro. Frank and be skeptical about the visitors testimony. Setting a foundation for the reader that the Lord can seal you up unto Eternal Life without the 2nd washing & anointing is helpful and instills hope. Elder Talmage in The House of the Lord, reveals that the 2nd W&A or calling and election, is given to the dead as well as the living, implying that you would at some point need to receive them, either dead of alive or by angels. This could help clarify doctrinal misinterpretations. Answering a foundational question to whether or not there is a difference between "Calling and Election" and "Calling and Election Made Sure" will help the reader digest what is being talked about with more focus and less conflict.

I hope this helps. I am not sure I have put these words in a coherent manner but I do hope you see my good intentions and nothing negative. Great chapter no doubt, I wanted to keep reading Smile
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #2723 is a reply to message #2222] Sun, 01 September 2013 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to read more, here is a link to the work in progress. This 'public' copy is for critique purposes only and I ask you not to pass it on to others or duplicate it in any way.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9hVp6kN6INaVGU2R0Y1MkNuUWM&usp=sharing

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #2737 is a reply to message #1890] Sun, 08 September 2013 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
brrgilbert wrote on Wed, 09 January 2013 17:58
The human mind is amazing. I have had some interesting experiences; revelations; realizations as I have read and re-read your story. Days ago, when I read your story, I was able to glide right through it with ease, comprehension, and visualization. Today, as I evaluated your request to scrutinize it closely, I started looking at the words and sentence structures, etc. . . . in other words, I started looking at the mechanics and the "letter" of the "law." What I learned was the following:

The name of the chapter is "Conflict Rising." The paradox I realized was that you were requesting a "critique" of your work. I learned that "critique" is a HOT BUTTON liable to cause a conflict to rise . . . (Conflict Rising.) Into my mind came the thought, "Let man be his own judge and critic." Further, emphasis was given, "If you look too closely, you can see the flaws in every man." (I believe that personal expression, such as writing and speaking is a reflection of who we are.) I realized that I had no right to edit or critique, because in so doing I was "making something mine, when it belongs to someone else." It was much more enjoyable to comprehend the "intent" rather than the "means." When things were evaluated at the "letter" or "mechanical" level, I lost the ease, comprehension, and visualization that was so enjoyable, before. The letter of the law in essence killed my enjoyment, whereas the spirit or intent set me free.

I think and feel, Dragon, that it is a great story. It was gratifying to me that the visitor respected the teacher.

Wow, that was beautifully said! thank you for sharing your experience. I have felt similar at times but could not nail down what happened or why. Smile

~ Seeker
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #3361 is a reply to message #2737] Sat, 09 August 2014 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The book is finished. Tentative release date is mid-October. Soon I hope to start collecting pre-orders. My goal is to get 100 pre-orders.

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #3362 is a reply to message #3361] Thu, 21 August 2014 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdowntown is currently offline  jdowntown
Congratulations! Finishing a book is a big accomplishment. Hope you are able to achieve your goals.
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #3400 is a reply to message #3362] Mon, 08 December 2014 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After a few delays, the book is finally (almost) here! Currently taking pre-orders via: http://grendelmen.com/

Hope it's okay to post that link. If not, the admins can remove this whole post.

- Dragon
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #3410 is a reply to message #3400] Sat, 10 January 2015 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brrgilbert is currently offline  brrgilbert
You are a good man, Dragon. God bless you in all that you do.
Re: The Book I Am Compelled to Write [message #3411 is a reply to message #3410] Sun, 11 January 2015 08:35 Go to previous message
I have the proof copy in hand. As soon as we correct the last few typos, it will be available!

- Dragon
Previous Topic: The role that I feel I am intended to play
Next Topic: Discussion Forum for Conspiracy Rising
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:58:23 MDT 2024